View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
...are there any areas that might be a little tricky to navigate? I generally go alone and I worry about "tricky" areas.
"Tricky" would be a relative term based on paddling ability and changing conditions on the river. There are a several Class 1/1+/2 rapids along the way. The trickiest of these in my view at low to medium water levels is Rebar Rapid because of a couple turns required to navigate it cleanly.

However, the major concern is making it past the Struthers and Lowellville dams. Much has been done in recent years to help paddlers safely navigate these areas. Though signs have been placed to help, a paddler still must be able to recognize which chutes provide a safe passage. Bear in mind that these are dangerous, low-head dams that are mostly intact. Even the few chutes that have been modified for safe passage could be blocked with debris. And carrying around the Struthers dam is difficult and strenuous.

There are others who are much more knowledgeable about this run who may have a different opinion or who could weigh in with more detailed information. In my view it would be prudent to first make this run with someone who is experienced with it. I'd recommend watching this board for another pick up trip or watching the Mahoning River Paddling and Restoration Group on Facebook.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JPTolson; 08-05-2018 at 06:03 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote