Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Mahoning River: Youngstown Section Trip Leader- Mike Danko
When- July 24th
Where- B & O Station 530 Mahoning Ave Youngstown, OH 444502
GPS 41.102527, -80.657866
Time- 10 AM
Total Distance 4.75 Miles
TCT will head back to downtown Youngstown. We will meet up at the B&O Station and paddle to Bob Cene/Union Street Bridge

This section is made possible by the work of many people. Chuck Miller a former member deserves all the credit. He has put countless hour on making this a great and easier run for less experience. Ed Hahn also deserves much credit as well. In the past couple of years Ed has been Chucks right hand man.
Since our last paddle down this section they have made many changes.
The biggest change is the Struthers damn. It now is a super easy way through. Instead of going river right we will go far river left for a nice flatter passable.
Second big change is Rebar rapid. They have completely cleared out river left and have put up several sign to help guide you through.
I consider this the adventure section of the Mahoning River that offer a lot more action than the upper sections in Trumbull County

List of Rapids in order
1. Marshall St Bridge Rapid -Class I+ or easy Class II Rapid depends on the level.
The trick is to aim for the orange sign on the tree then follow the current all the way out to flat water. There are multiple strong Eddie lines that can flip you if you don’t follow the current all the way out.
2. Cement Plant Wave Train-Class I
Roughly at the 1 ? mile mark is the Wave Train is a fun rapid that many of us will stop and go through several times to play and have fun. A good time to practice a throw rope if you haven’t in the past.

3. Rebar Rapid Class 1+, follow the sign on river left and it is an easy passage.

4. Iron Bridge Wave Train-Easy Class I
Right after rebar rapid we will paddle to river right and ride out this easy class I Ripple/Wave train to a railroad bridge

Hope to see you on the Water.
Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 07-23-2016 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Change in Paddle
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote