View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Tionesta Trip Report -KenM

K & C had a fun overnight paddle on the Tionesta. We drove over Friday evening and stayed at Minister Creek. It rained off and on Friday night but by morning the temp was about 55 deg and the clouds had lifted a bit. We met the others at the put-in at Henry's Mill bridge and launched at 10:15 am. Although the clouds were low it was pleasant on the river. It was some time after a lunch stop when the rain started. After a while the group gathered underneath some overhanging hemlocks for shelter until the shower (and a few thunder boomers) had passed. With a swift current we got to camp at Logan Run around 2:30p. The camp was pretty wet by then but we had no more rain so life was good. Later that evening around the campfire we started to see stars pop out. By morning there was a clear sky. Sunday morning we broke camp and got in our boats around 8:30a. It was an absolutely perfect day to be on the water. The group got to the take-out at Kelletville bridge before noon. It was nearly a half hour drive back to Henry's Mill to get the other vehicles...and then back again. A couple of us had a three hour drive home so an early take-out worked well.

This was my second trip down this river. I am amazed at how clear the water is and how swift the current is. With the current moving 3 to 3.5 mph in two foot of water you can just watch the rocks go whizzing by.

Water level on the Tionesta was good and held around 2.1 ft. Even then there were a few rocks hiding. As I mentioned in an earlier post, K & C paddled my 17 ft Grumman canoe. I expect that not many Trumbull Canoe members have ever had an opportunity to paddle such a classic craft and have missed the unique sound of an aluminum boat sliding over a jagged rock.

Thanks to Jim B. for leading this trip.

Ken Mozden

ps I added a bunch of photos
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (05-02-2017), mfdanko99  (05-02-2017)