View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 11:04 AM   #2
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Personal paddling low's and highs

Low's
1-Dealing with high winds Greenbrier River in West Virginia on Vacation .
We did several section of this creek and two out of the three days it was very windy and made this great creek a hard paddle. The wind kicked my butt

2-Not paddling as much as I use to, but working on the house is important.

3-Having a hard time with the Whitewater Canoe the club got me. I love paddling it but the problem I am having is I can;t move my knees once I am in the saddle and my knee's just start to hurt in several minutes and I can't move them like I can n my other canoe.
Will have to hire Dustin or one of his girls to redo the gunnels and add a kneeling thwart so it is like my other canoe.

4- Not Paddling Ashtabula River in 2022.
My favorite Whitewater River. It is so hard to catch because of water level and having the time to make it up to Ashtabula for a great 8 mile paddle of none stop Class II rapids.

5- Not Paddling Connie in 2022
This is my second favorite Whitewater Creek. Many great class II's and one Class III rapid that is amazing to paddle.

High's
1-New River Gorge WV
Jess and myself did a section of the Upper New River in WV. This truly was a test of my Solo Canoeing as we took on two Class III Rapids (Grassy Shoal & Quinnamount) We also have several Class II in the 7 Miles we did. This was an ultimate high for me and I have to thank Ron Ells and JP for helping me become a better paddler. I have never seen rapids that big, Ashtabula River and the Connie helped me prepare for this trip.

2-Red Moshannon Race PA
This was my first race I have done since the Mad Hatters on the Grand River. First time doing a race in the solo canoe. First time on this creek. It was a blast and a great creek with several Class II & Class I rapids. I was proud of my finish times specially since I helped two racers who flipped.
It was intimating to be at the starting line with canoers that have racing canoes' and were members of the US National Team at one time. Several of them made commits about my canoe being a hog at 80 lbs compared to there 30lb canoes but I am still proud of my time.

3- Greenbrier River WV
Even with high winds it was amazing to do a new river that offered a little bit of everything. One section would we a great club trip with some class I rapids and great scenery along the way.

The other section we did twice as it has a lot of Class II rapids that is a blast to do. On the second day I had to do a rescue of a flipped kayaker and it made me realize how much I have learned from the club.

4- Beaver Creek- A personal favorite of mine that has a classic creek feel and several Class II rapid and riffles that make this a great trip.

5- Mahoning River-Youngstown to Lowellville

Getting to paddle downtown Ytown is always a great trip for me but getting to go all the way to lowellville with out the struthers dam made the trip really nice and enjoyable.

Last edited by mfdanko99; 12-31-2022 at 08:57 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote