View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2017 Paddling Year High Points and Low Points

TCT,
As we have done on this forum since 2011, now is a good time to look back on the 2017 paddling season and reflect on our personal high points and low points. I hope other club members will share some of their best and best-be-forgotten experiences during the past year. Below are mine in order of significance. Happy New Year and good paddling to all in 2018!

jp

2017 Paddling Year in Review
High Points and Low Points!

Highs

1. Ashtabula River

What a great trip on a PFD (personal first descent) as part of the club’s whitewater weekend! The combination of scenery, weather, whitewater (class two+) was outstanding. This is a beautiful run! There was near-constant action, causing some arm fatigue to set in along the way (see low point 2 below), but what a reward to be able to paddle this gem. So grateful for Mike Danko leading us down the river and showing us the lines.

2. Connoquenessing Creek

This section of the Connie was another PFD and another class two whitewater gem. It’s hard to believe it took seven years in the club before discovering this run. Thanks to Bruce and Dianne Ambrose for the inspiration to get out in the middle of the week on an unseasonably warm day in February when air temps reached the 60s.

3. Mahoning River

The club’s Lowellville to Edinburg run in October was my first time on the water in three months. So when paddling trips are few and far between, each one becomes a little more special. Plus it was just great to be out again with paddling friends, see how much Mike had progressed in OC-1, and play in the rapid below Route 224. Does anyone know if there is a name for that rapid?

4. Mahoning River

The Paddle Ohio Event from Swift Park to Canoe City in July was, by far, the trip with the greatest number of paddlers that I had ever participated in. It was kind of amazing that 80 paddlers took part in this chance to showcase the Mahoning River Water Trail, and it was neat that TCT had a good turnout to provide support for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and Trumbull Metroparks.

Lows

1. Low-head Dam Drownings

News of four kayaker drownings–two on the Ohio River in PA and two on the Scioto River in Ohio–was another sad and sobering reminder of the dangers of low-head dams. Please continue to make friends, family, and new paddlers aware of the life-threatening hazard posed by these drowning machines.

2. Side Surf Near Swim

After miles of near continuous action on the Ashtabula River run, my arms were so fatigued I was unable to perform the necessary strokes to stay out of a small curler/keeper wave. The boat was soon stuck side surfing this wave, causing a couple of upstream lurches that threatened to put me in the drink and sweep the boat down river or, worse, cause it to be pinned. But Mike came to the rescue with a very timely and well-placed bump to the bow with his kayak to dislodge the canoe from the wave. But I will likely hear from BobK for the rest of my days on this earth about the time a kayak had to come to the aid of me and my canoe!

Last edited by JPTolson; 12-31-2017 at 11:24 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
Ambridger  (02-06-2018), mfdanko99  (01-01-2018), suram  (01-01-2018)