View Single Post
Old 06-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #5
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I think removing or cutting some trees to maintain a safe, navigable channel is one thing, however making physical changes to the river probably violates some sort of EPA or ODNR or USACE or XYZ regulation. I believe the Shenango River Watchers contract with the amish to maintain their river, and The Kent FD and DPW have mitigated some strainers in the Cuyahoga. But hiring a winch or maybe even a tow truck might draw unwanted attention. A hand winch might be too cumbersome for the job. So what is the right answer? Where do we, or regulatory agencies (if they find out) draw the line? I'm all for reducing risks and efforts in the name of safety, and even flexing beyond some regulations, but who is to be the judge?

As for this site and the FB page . . . I still look to this site for "the official word" on club trips, meetings, events, and news. This site has become too cumbersome to post pictures on, and even posting this message is a bit more taxing here on the site than it is on FB. We might need some funds to update our web site. The FB page has been great for spreading the word about the club and attracting potential members. And sometimes FB is littered with non-club members, spam, and items that are more entertaining than news-worthy or educational. And you know what they say about opinions ... "they are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everybody else's stinks" . . . And FB is full of opinions. Good. Bad. Otherwise.

And that brings us full-circle back to people's opinion of what is right for our waterways, our club, our communications . . . I think at the heart of the matter, we all want to have safe fun on the water. The Mahoning will be evolving in the next few years, and beyond. Hopefully we all can continue to enjoy floating the Mahoning and hope the changes thrust upon us are for the best.

Just my $.02