View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default The scouting trip 5-24-18

The scouting trip 5-24-18

K & C took a ride over to Teegarden and down to Lisbon on Thursday afternoon. Grimms gage at noon was 589 (3.99 ft) and declining slowly.

A lovely summer afternoon with sun, shade along river, quiet except for singing birds. We found the creek inviting.

The creek at Teegarden had a decent flow of water. There were nice stretches of knee deep pools and then shallow gravel bars... typical of the stretch down to Lisbon. It appeared to us that you could find a shallow channel through some gravel bars but others may need to be walked through. Gravel is maybe egg-size or smaller so not hard to walk on. I would say a smaller (10-12 ft) boat would be more suitable because of some tight turns. You may make it through some gravel with some scrapping. Some you will walk. The longest bar that we could observe was just downstream of Willow Grove Park, almost under RT 30, where I think the dam had been. This is about .5 mile from Lisbon takeout and, as noted earlier, that short bit of river is not quite so attractive as upstream. From roads and bridges we did not observe any log jams.

If I would have had a ride back from Lisbon (and a boat) I would have wore some river-walking shoes and launched my 10 ft kayak without much thinking. By Saturday morning... not so sure what it may look like if water came down very much. Like here though, the ground is currently soaked from rain and still draining from woods and farmland so hard to say.

Ken

Last edited by KenM; 05-25-2018 at 05:37 PM.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote