View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #10
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Mahoning/Beaver River

What a fantastic day to be on the water, great temps in the 70's partly cloudy and great company. I was very surprised when a total of 22 paddlers and 1 k9 show for the paddle. I didn't hear much positive feed back and was worried.
17 kayaks, 1 two man kayak & 2 Canoes made the 10 mile journey down the Mahoning River into the Beaver River. I was very happy to hear many positive commits for this new section.
I also hear how many of the paddlers where happy to have a trip close to them. Many members live in Western PA and have lots of drive times during the year. To have a paddle closer to home made so many happy.
Many were please to see the pretty scenery the paddle offered and how this trip really fits the club. We had real calm slow section, flat sections with a nice current,and several ripples and 1 true class one rapid. We also paddled under to trains as they passed over head.
The lunch stop on Shaw island was fun and gave everyone a chance to look up stream and see the point were the Shenango and Mahoning River meet to form the Beaver River.
Mark and Jodi did find the take out at St Rt 168 in West Pittsburg. A little bit of a hike from the road to the river but a good put-in or take out.
We did have one carnage along the way but everyone turned out ok.
Great trip and many thanks to all who came out for this new section of the Mahoning & Beaver River
Jessica has posted pictures of the day on the website,
Mike Danko
JPTolson  (08-31-2017), Mary Kane  (09-01-2017)