View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Ashtabula River report

Friday the 2nd I did the Ashtabula river for the first time. It is a blast with some nice rapids and a true class 2 at low level and class 3 at high level.

I started at Green Hill road and finished at Stevens rd wich is also know as the Ford.
This section is about 5 miles. the start is nice and flat with little ripples, then at the first cover bridge there is a 1 foot drop that makes a fun rapid. There our about 3 of those on this section.

About half way threw there is a drop off about 4 to 5 feet, but the rocks are shaped so you can slide down them, there is no under toe at the bottem due to the way the rock a formed, it is all shale rock. I make it over that and did it once more for fun.

Then the best rapid is right after dewey rd. It is the true rapid with a 2 or 3 foot drop followed with a turn and a little rapid right after it.
I did this one about three times and loved it every time.

After that there are some nice little ripples to get wet in.
I did this in my 14 ft carolina with my spray skirt, if not I would have filled up several times.

Due to the drops I know this wouldn't be a good club run, but if anyone wants to do it let me know I am willing to go again.

Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 09-06-2011 at 07:16 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote