View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTolson View Post
There would also be the Cuyahoga where one paddles through the national park and a bike shuttle via the towpath that runs along the river.

Also, the Allegheny has a riverside bike trail in the Franklin, PA area.

Not sure about how close the Stavich Trail stays to the lower Mahoning, but that may be another possibilty.

And the one I'm most familiar with is the C&O Canal Towpath that runs along the Potomac River from Cumberland, Maryland to Washington, DC.

Never stopped to think about it before, but there must be lots of bike trails along rivers these days
JP you've named most of the ones that I was thinking about, plus the Cuyahoga, which I hadn't considered. I was also considering the lower Beaver Creek section, that has the mountain bike trail next to it. And even though it's a bit farther away, the Clarion River upstream from Cooks Forest - they resurfaced that whole 20 miles of road next to the river recently and it's smooooth as butter.

Here's a link to the only other one I have ready at this time - East Sandy Creek into the Allegheny River near Franklin, PA:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.kDjsz5x3Xbj0

I've done that East Sandy run dozens of times - if waters up and there's anyone thinking about heading that way, post up and maybe I can head over too.

As far as fifthpig's question about the Mahoning route - yes, that's all road riding. It's on an official Ohio bicycle route - route J. Not many people are aware of the route, and it's not actually all the most appealing of roads - but the segment shown as the shuttle shouldn't be too bad.

Steve Z

Last edited by swampboy62; 01-15-2014 at 02:59 PM.
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote