Thread: safety session
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default safety session

Safety Practice Session- Sprucevale Little Beaver Creek, Trip Leader Mike Danko & Ron Ells

When- Sunday August 9th

Where- 12905 Sprucevale Rd, East Liverpool, OH 43920

(Little Beaver Creek State Park Primitive Campgrounds)
Sprucevale rd also goes by county rd 428
GPS 40.70586, -80.580351

Time ? 12pm

This paddle is from an idea several members had in 2013 and this is the second part of it. The first part was done in 2014 at Warren G Harding Swimming Pool.

What I would like to accomplish is basic safety skills. I would hope everyone wears swimming gear and plans to get wet.

Highly recommend for new paddlers and for senior member to brush up old skills and to help pass on information to new paddlers.

The stuff I would like to cover-

Life Vest Testing-Can your life vest hold you up? Can you put it on while floating in water?

Flipping your boat- Do you truly know what is feels like to flip?

Canoe over Canoe/Kayak over Kayak Rescue- If you are in the Middle of a lake could you and your paddling partner get your boat up right, empty and get back in side of it?

Ferrying Across a river with current-If you are on one side of a river bank and need to get to the other side do you know how?

Throwing a throw Rope- sounds simple: Right!! Not as easy as you think when someone is in the water with current.

Extreme Basic eddying out of current/ and Peel out back into current turns- If you are paddling up stream and want to turn and catch the current can you, without flipping?
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote