Thread: Tionesta Creek
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2022, 09:21 PM   #7
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

The trip on Tionesta Creek went better than expected, and I say that because of the water level being slightly low. There had been some rain in the days leading into the trip, however the level was trending down, and when we launched it was around 1.85 on the Lynch gauge. I think we only had some minor scraping, maybe one or two brief walks in the water... not enough to be annoying thankfully. In attendance were Tom & Darla, Jim, Jodi & myself, and my sister-in-law and two nephews. This was the first time for my youngest nephew to solo on moving water, and while he did well, and really enjoyed the few spots with some riffles, his pace was slowing about 3/4 of the way through this 11 mile paddle. We reconfigured, putting him into the front of my tandem, and eventually we all reached Nebraska. The last mile or so has very little current, as you are entering the backwaters of the lake. We were graced with an eagle fly-over, and the peaceful seclusion of the ANF. The campground (USACE) at Kellettville had not yet opened for the season, but I heard that June 1st might be opening day there. There were alot of kayaks on the creek, and when I got Jim back to his car at the end, there was quite a flotilla coming down from above Kellettville. The weather was great, we had one minor carnage, and I must say that I appreciated everyone's patience with my nephews. Sunday on the Clarion with the Noels was even better, but I'll let him tell ya about that. Any day I can get my nephews into the great outdoors is a win, and this entire weekend was just that. See yinz all at the next one.