View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I want to give those who plan to come on Sunday's trip an update on river conditions. On a scouting trip of the Mahoning between Rotary Park and Swift parks last weekend, we found trees entirely blocking the river at two locations?one about a half mile downriver from the Rotary Park put in and one just upriver from milepost 11, about 2.5 miles from the take out. For the water level that day, 2.46 ft. on the Pricetown gage, getting around both obstructions required exiting and entering boats along side the downed trees, hefting/sliding boats over the them, and some delicate balancing footwork on wet logs. Both obstructions and the places to get through them are also in deep water, and it is not feasible to carry boats around them on shore along either side of the river because the banks are steep. In one instance a chain link fence blocks the way. I also know of no other put in immediately below first tree that is down.

As a result, there is a strong probability that the trip this Sunday, September 14, will be shifted to the section of the Mahoning above Rotary Park. Right now, a viable option is to put in above the dam at Rotary Park (milepost 6), paddle upstream to approximately milepost 3 (where there is another river-wide tree on its side), have lunch somewhere in that vicinity, and return to Rotary Park for a total of six river miles. The current should not be too stiff at this level to paddle upstream when I looked at it today (9/9) and the Pricetown gage reading was 2.54 ft. So for now, our meeting place and time remain the same?noon at Rotary Park in Newton Falls. Keep an eye on this board for any other updates and contact me with any questions.

jp
330-337-7752
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote