View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly: GOOD - the forecast looks nice, BAD - there is a Turnpike (PA 76) closure all weekend for a bridge replacement - with significant detours - I suggest using 80 or 422 to 79(S) to 279(S) to 28(N) OR Ohio 11 to WV / PA 30 to 376 eastbound to 279(N) to 28(N), UGLY - I was going to make the meet time later in light of the detour, however the Pirates have a home game at 1:35 and parking can get tight.

Considering that most will be making the trip to PGH on Sunday morning, I don't expect traffic to be too bad at that time of day.

Despite the bad and the ugly, this should be a great day on the water.
This is an urban paddle with little shade, bring your sun screen and drinking water. Also, the water police will likely be out-and-about due to the Pirates game, make sure you have your required equipment - whistles and PFDs . . .

If anybody finds themselves running late or lost, give a call: 724-601-9801.

Launch: Millvale Riverfront Park: The listed address is 70 River Front Drive, Pittsburgh (Millvale) PA 15209, however this address does not work in either of my Garmin GPS units. The closest address that I was able to GPS was 100 Lincoln Avenue 15209. Coordinates my Garmin GPS gave at the launch site: N 40 28.490, W 79 58.158

From route 28, Millvale is exit 3B.

From southbound 28, stay straight down the exit ramp to the stop sign, then continue into the center lane as if going towards 28 south. After going through the second stoplight, bare left (towards 28 south) and then turn left (before going up the ramp) into the railroad crossing. Continue through the tunnel and follow the road around to the right. Pull into the first parking lot on the left.

From northbound 28, make a left at the stoplight at the end of the ramp, into the center lane, as if going towards 28 south. Bare left through the next light (towards 28 south) and then turn left (before going up the ramp) into the railroad crossing. Continue through the tunnel and follow the road around to the right. Pull into the first parking lot on the left.

Last edited by Ambridger; 09-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote