View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default 2018 review

I would like to follow a tradition started by John Paul Tolson.
A Review of the Past Paddling Year. Club high and low points & personal high and lows.

Clubs lows-
1-Not being able to paddle the Ice Breaker paddle on the Mahoning in March due to my busted up knee
2-Having the Grand River Cancelled again due to EXTREME Low Temps in the mid 20's.
3-Shorting of the Beaver Creek Trip due to temps in the Mid 30's for a 12 Mile paddle. We did the 3 mile section from State Park to Sprucevale.
4-Shorting of the Mahoning River Lowellville Section due to unseasonal low temps that weekend.

Club Highs-

1-Cuyahoga River Train Section- I know many didn't like the long hikes with the boats, but the Train Ride and Paddle were super with a big turn out for a fun event. Train employees were amazed at how many boats we loaded at once. Also groups of us going out afterward for dinner.
2-French Creek- Just love being on that creek in the Spring with a bunch of great friends.
3-Upper Mahoning Trip- Good turn out, great day on our home river. (thanks ken for the ride back to my truck for my paddle)
4-Deer Creek Reservoir- Ken put a fun spin on this trip by doing a scavenger hunt for the paddle.
5-River fest B&O- Amazing how everyone comes together to work as a team from the tent, lifejacket station, to the dock workers and paddlers!!

Personal Lows-
1-Missing a several paddling opportunities due to my knee.
2-Not being able to paddle my Wavesport Ethos this past year due to my Knee

Personal Highs-
1-Getting a lot more practice in my Canoe as a Solo Paddler.
2-Being asked by Matthew Smith from ODNR to assist on the Beaver Creek Public Paddle. Thank you to Ron Eells and Jessica Hoffart for helping. Also had a great surprise to see Ken and Cheryl paddling this event
3-Doing whitewater in my canoe. I made several passes through downtown Kent section and practicing what John Paul Tolson & Ron Ells have been teaching me.
4- Accomplishing a goal I set two years ago. Making a solo canoe run down 6 miles of pure Class II whitewater on the Connoquessing Creek. ( also learned I need air bags for the canoe) (Santa & Jessica got me everything I need to outfit the canoe for whitewater)
(my next goal is Ashtabula River)
5- Many side trips with Jessica

Thanks again to so many who make paddling a blast
Mike