View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Opinions please.

I might consider this trip but have reservations about the suitability of my boat (and my abilities) for this type of water. And the water and air temps.

My kayak(s):

Hurricane Santee Sport 12'6...a rec boat with hugh cockpit....I do have a half skirt that covers about 30" of the open cockpit but don't know how well it would shed a sheet of water coming over the bow (un-tested). It handles moving water well enough but I am not sure if this trip involves really tight manuvering.

option...Perception Prodigy 10' rec boat with large cockpit. I know that plowing thru standing waves will result in a lap-full of water (without any type of skirt). I think half skirt will fit. It's shorter so may be a bit more manuverable.

I would have prefered a bit warmer weather for this weekend but have lots of poly clothing and a goretex rain suit. Suitable atire for temps of 55-60 degs on this river?

I enjoy a river trip but do not aspire to be a whitewater paddler. Being fairly new to the club I haven't paddled much with you yet so am not quite sure what I might be getting into with a trip on the Little Beaver. I am familiar with the river and the reputation of the rapids. Possibly I may wait for a lesser trip until we get more acquainted. I won't be offended if you think I should wait for a calmer trip.

Thanks, KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (04-25-2015)