View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #11
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Yesterday (5/8/19) I scouted the low-water bridge immediately downstream of the Route 164 bridge over the Middle Fork of Little Beaver Creek in Lisbon. The low-water bridge is NOT EASILY VISIBLE from the Route 164 bridge. So I pulled into the business on river left and, with permission of one of the employees, walked down to the bridge and to the creek beneath. The employee stressed NOT to drive across the bridge because its condition is questionable.

Little Beaver was running 3.99 on the gage at Grimm's Bridge, and I estimate there was six feet of clearance from the water to the bottom of the bridge. There was an eddy immediately upriver of the bridge on both sides of the creek. The eddy on river right would probably remain with an increase of a foot or two in the water level. The one on river left might wash out. The current was moderately swift. Assuming that the clearance will change in direct proportion to the river level gage reading (and that may not be a valid assumption), clearance would be approximately five feet with a river level of 5.0, four feet with a level of 6.0, three feet with a level of 7.0 etc.

There was also a piece of wood sticking out about four feet from the bridge structure on river right, about one to two feet beneath the bottom of the bridge. So steer clear of it.

It would be possible to carry around the bridge if necessary from the eddy on river right, though putting back in will be a bit rough and steep. The bank is cemented for dozens of yards down river from the bridge with a very rough aggregate.

The moral of the story is to be aware and, if possible, to scout the bridge before putting on the river, especially if the water is above 5 feet and rising. Having good boat control for a quick eddy turn, if necessary, will also be helpful.

Last edited by JPTolson; 05-09-2019 at 04:03 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote