View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I'm trying to be level-headed about much of this, and I sense that a divide is growing between our two organizations. I believe that so long as our name (TCTC) is included in advertisements and publications for the event, I believe it is still to our benefit to participate.

I would be in favor of us having even more of a presence at the event; possibly having an area set aside for us to host water safety lectures. Also, if there is something our club could do at the event to help raise funds for the club, I would possibly be in favor of that as well. I'm not sure what the regulations are in Ohio concerning raffles, but maybe we could sell chances to win a kayak (that hopefully a business would sell to us at a discount for this purpose) and PFD (being the safety minded club that we are).

Also, I would like TCTC to begin to consider possibly hosting a community event of our own; while maintaining our role in the FOM event. Finding a place along the river (Newton Falls? / Warren?) with adequate parking, and not duplicating the FOM event (theme and location) would be two priorities. Possibly holding a river race, or possibly an outdoor expo of sorts - involving all sorts of outdoor businesses & pursuits - hiking / biking / kayak - canoe - SUP / camping ...

I think this is food for thought, and probably great debate. I hope debate leads to harmony and unity, and not strife. Paddle sports are becoming increasingly popular, and I believe we may capture on that opportunity, but it will take a lot of work.

In terms of the June 9 paddle, I believe it is still the right thing to do. We are not just there for our own enjoyment, but also as guardians of the public and proponents of our sport and the waterways - fulfilling the mission of our club.

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success" Edward Everett Hale

Mark

Last edited by Ambridger; 05-16-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote