View Single Post
Old 05-04-2023, 06:16 PM   #1
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Memorial Day Eve - Clarion River

Sunday, May 28th - Clarion River - 10am
Trip Leader: Curt Marando

This is the trip everyone calls "Gravel Lick to Mill Creek". The trip is along the Clarion River below the Cook Forest area. There are no roads along this stretch of the river. The launch site is called Gravel Lick Boat Launch which is on Gravel Lick Rd. in Farmington township. The take-out is called Mill Creek Boat Launch in Strattanville, PA. Good to know if you get lost and need Google to help.

We will meet at the launch site at about 10:00 am, (some of us will be there early to help unload) drop boats and gear, then hopefully shuttle by 10:15-10:30. Shuttle time is about a half hour. (15 minutes down, 15 minutes back.) There is plenty of parking at both the launch site and the takeout site.

Paddle time varies based on water level but usually about 3.5 hrs when you factor in about a half hour for lunch. We will stop about halfway (Old State Rd.) to eat lunch/snack. Waves are generally class 1 at the most. There are several areas where the river narrows and you get some nice, fast moving ripples.

The last mile has no current and is mostly paddling. Keep your eyes open for Bald Eagles, Coyotes, Deer, Ducks and Canada Geese.

After returning to the launch point, we can convene to the LINGER LONGER LODGE (less than a mile from the launch point) for Burgers/Hot Dogs, baked beans and potato salad.

Finally, I have opened up the grounds of the LINGER LONGER LODGE to anyone who may wish to set up a tent for the weekend (beginning Friday May 26). The front yard will accommodate 3 to 4 small to medium sized tents. Also, I will keep the basement open for showers and toilet facilities. The campfire ring will be shared the entire weekend by family and guests. If you wish to set up a tent for the weekend please text me first at 330.373.8482 so we can get an idea who/how many might be staying.

Curt