Old 09-25-2023, 09:14 PM   #1
Ambridger

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default The Yough - The West Newton Run

Youghiogheny River: “The West Newton Run”
Sunday, October 8th - 11:00am
Smithton Beach Launch – PA Route 981 at the Smithton Bridge
(Closest address I can find for the put-in will be 701 Peer St, Smithton PA 15479 … that will place you just across the river from the put-in.)

We will meet at Smithton to drop boats, and as this will be fairly new territory for most, we will caravan to the take-out as a group. The Smithton launch is just off of PA-981, at the west end of the Smithton Bridge. If there would not be enough parking at the put-in, folks can drive just across the bridge to stage at the ball field, after having dropped-off their boats. Drivers will caravan down to the take-out, on Water Street, in Sutersville. (15083)

This trip is reminiscent of the Foxburg Run, as there is a small town about halfway into the float, where we will stop for lunch. We will float about 6 miles down to West Newton, where we will pull ashore. There is no true take-out, but there is plenty of shoreline on which to beach you boat -similar to Foxburg. If you’re wondering if there is a “Foxburg Inn” … the answer is “The Trailside Restaurant”. And similar to Foxburg, there is a (Fox’s) pizza place just across the street, as well as a Subway Restaurant just across the bridge.

After lunch, we will reassemble and continue a few more miles down to our take-out at Sutersville. The take-out is a rough ramp, so we will need to work together to help get everyone up the ramp.

This is class one water with a few riffles. There is no telling, at this point, what the weather will be like, but we are moving into October, so cold water / weather precautions should be observed.

Please start to RSVP under this thread so I know who to be watching for. Cellular coverage at the put-in is not 100% so I may or may not be reachable that day. And as always, monitor this thread in case Mother Nature or some other force should decide to work against us.

Mark 724-601-9801