View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default River Miles for Ohio Rivers and Creeks

River Miles for Ohio Rivers and Creeks

I was thinking about our paddle on the Pymatuning Creek this past Sunday, Aug 25, 2019 and started reading Matthew Smith's document that set the stage for it being designated as "Wild and Scenic" this past December 2018. Wow! 135 pages. An interesting read. There are considerable references to study locations and river mile marks.

So where do those river mileages come from? And where are they? I went down the "rabbit hole" googling for river mile distances.

Back in the Pymatuning study it was noted the river miles used were from the Ohio EPA. Bingo! I was expecting some sort of official information on our rivers. What I found was an electronic version of copies of topo maps (of the entire state of Ohio) that have hand measured and penciled in mileages along with some other mystery info. While this is hard to read and decipher it is the only source of river mileages that I am aware of other than some of the water trail maps. Possibly useful for planning out a trip.

This site is slow to load so be patient. It's also difficult to print out a page that is legible. The print routine doesn't work for me. I found a screen copy or screen capture utility did the best. -KenM

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi...3ac43d2914d25e
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote