View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
rickjamm

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Maiden voyage

I?ve enjoyed surfing this forum and hearing everyone?s personal experiences of traveling the Mahoning River and this is my first post in this forum. I work in the downtown area and my office is perched with a distant view of the river and it?s something I've wanted to do for some time.

This past Sunday with the unseasonably warm weather & I persuaded my girlfriend to accompany me with navigating the river. We put-in our borrowed canoe at the B & O Station and proceeded downstream.

It was surreal navigating downstream and I was finally living my dream.

As we crossed under the Mahoning Avenue Bridge we approached the Marshall Street Bridge & observed an orange sign on the north bank of the river. Paddling towards the sign we read it and discovered it was an arrow pointing towards the 'other' side of the river as being the 'safe route' thru an approaching rapid / dam.

We managed towards the south bank, but by now we were nearly over the fall. In hindsight we should've paddled upstream and back towards the rapid to give it an honest run. But instead, no sooner we straightened the canoe up to head into the rapid did we tip and enjoy our first swim of the river.

Floating in the water (wearing our life-vests of course) on top of our overturned canoe 10 minutes into our maiden voyage was a disappointment. But looking back I wouldn't have done it any other way as we laughed and joked kicking our legs in the current safely towards the southern bank.

It makes for a funny story --- As they say its not about the smiles not the miles LOL...

I've been a resident of this county all of my life and the Mahoning River is a valuable and untapped resource to our community & I am looking forward to my next river adventure.

*I am taking a kayak next time & hopefully able to hook up with planned group trip?
rickjamm is offline   Reply With Quote