Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Grand River 2017

Grand River-Trip Leader Mike Danko & Jessica Hoffart
When- Sunday April 2nd

Where- Hidden Valley Park 4872 Klasen Road, Madison, Ohio 44057

GPS 41.741058, -81.048470

Time 11:00 am

Hidden Valley Park is just off of State Route 528 just south of Interstate 90 in Lake County Ohio. It's hard for me to give directions with out knowing your location for this paddle. Some Members come up St Rt 11 to interstate 90 while other cut cross country on other state routes like 422 to 528, or go up 11 and cut across at Rt 6 to 528.

We know it is April when we head back north to paddle the Grand River. As always, weather and water will dictate what section we paddle.
There are two sections of the river TCT likes to paddle.
Harpersfield Park(St Rt 534)to Hidden Valley Park (St Rt 528) This section is a hair over 8 miles.

This section is a little calmer than the second with two good class I+ rapids. They are right by each other; The first is a straight forward paddle through it and go. The second is like a S style rapid that can push you into the bank if you do not angle correctly and paddle.
After that is a nice paddle with lots of little ripples.
I been using the USGS Gauge in Painesville to gauge what sections we can do. On average the 528 paint gauge is about a foot lower than the USGS gauge. Good example was 2013 when the USGS was at 2ft and the painted gauge at 528 was 1ft. We did this section with that low amount with some scraps and bumps as we call it getting bony.

The second section is from Hidden Valley Park to Masons Landing near Painesville. This section is a hair over 9 miles.
This section has many wave trains for those who likes action, but most wave trains can be avoided by going the opposite side of the river. Many wave train form from the waves hitting the shale wall and crashing back into another wave making a hay stacks as many paddlers call them.
In 2014 we did this section when the USGS gauge was at 3ft and the painted gauge was at 2ft. A great and easy paddle we had that year.

Both levels are very scenic and fun to paddle, But at high water both sections can be very hard and technical and possibly hazardous.

Please check on the tct website for updates for the paddle. Also please post if you will be coming to the paddle for we can have an idea who is coming. This helps the trip leader to keep an eye out for paddlers so we don't take off with out them.

Mike Danko
Also you can call or text me at 330-766-3129 if you have any questions

Last edited by mfdanko99; 03-26-2017 at 08:07 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote