View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
85dragonfly

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default PFDs - newsletter

Hi Folks - I am responding here to an article by ?Rich A? in the most recent edition of the Trumbull Canoe Trails newsletter, regarding the specific regulations in both PA and Ohio regarding PFDs. I wish to first say that I mean no specific criticism or disrespect to Rich, or anyone else - rather, I wish us all to come to the take-out alive.

I believe that most people do not really understand the point of a PFD. In my experience most folks think that of it as a device for people who are unsure of themselves as swimmers, or think that it is a precaution to be worn when in waters of a Class with which they are unsure of themselves and their abilities. Or at best, something which must be ?at hand? in case the cops come down on ya. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I am a veteran of many years and many thousands of miles of both river and lake paddling. I am both pleased and humbled to say that I have paddled with many of the most experienced and accomplished canoe paddlers in North America, people who are in their way legends in the paddling community, and whom I am honored to call my friends. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM wears a PFD AT ALL TIMES on the water - ANY water - whether that water be a Canadian Lake, a Class VI steep creek, or a backyard pond.

The reason is simple, and is well known ?It floats. You don?t? That says it all. It has NOTHING to do with how good a swimmer you are, or what kind of water you?re paddling. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that a PFD will keep your head above water (and therefore keep you breathing) when you can?t swim - not because you don?t know how, but because conditions will not permit you to swim, or swim effectively. How well can you swim if you?re unconscious? Heart attack, stroke, or a simple fainting spell. How well, or how long, can you swim if the water temp is lower than blood heat (98.6)? Water temps in the 50s will cause enough hypothermia in 5 minutes to render your arms and legs completely useless. I personally know people who have drowned in less time than that in May on Lake Arthur in Moraine State Park. And who were good swimmers. How will you swim with no functioning extremities? How do you swim when the river/creek is stronger than you are? EVERY river and creek IS stronger than you are!

It is easy to recognize the experienced and knowledgeable paddlers at any put-in. They have their PFDs on. It?s mighty cheap insurance. Wear it! ALWAYS!

With respect and concern, Bruce aka 85dragonfly
85dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote