View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #16
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I have paddled Mosquito Creek a lot over the years and it is a landmine of tree's. It makes the Mahoning look very easy to clean.

The worst section of mosquito creek is behind ivy hills condos all the way to up the creek tavern.

From there to the mall isn't to bad. After the mall it is pretty clear up to about 100 yard before Kennedy park, a HUGE tree is down and not sure how to cut that big of a tree out.

From there to Niles Giant eagle is clear. At the Giant Eagle the current really picks up as the creek really get narrow and turns into a whitewater/swift water type creek with very sharp turns that leads to the Mahoning.
The whitewater section is hard to catch at good levels and have to almost scout before running do to the tree's and two small islands.

I have never hit a paddle zero on the creek due to dam control. From Giant eagle down to the Mahoning a 3ft higher is a great level of a nice whitewater/swift water paddled. It is almost to narrow to paddle my 17ft Old town scout canoe threw the sharp turns with a good current. Much easier in my whitewater kayak.

I am in for helping but could use some help on the Mahoning

Mike
JPTolson  (12-27-2017), RangerSpring  (01-02-2018)