Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Salt Fork Lake 5-23-20

Greetings,

Cheryl and I took the kayaks down to Salt Fork Lake Saturday, We occasionally paddle on the far north-east corner of the lake where Sugarcreek Fork and Clear Creek come into the lake. Very shallow here and full of stumps so motor boats seldom go in there. A great wildlife area. Lots of birds. We usually paddle across the narrow lake and up the Sugarcreek channel as far as we can go. The Clear Creek is usually blocked by a major beaver dam but recent rains have re-opened the channel so up we went against a 1 mph current. Coming around one bend we looked up and there was an eagle in a tree. We expected it to fly as we got closer but it just watched us! We were no more than 100 foot away when we passed and at one point while I was trying to take a photo I must have been within 60 feet. The carp are starting to spawn in very shallow water...fins are showing above water! The eagle was probably so full it couldn't fly. We sometimes remark that 20 years ago if we said we saw an eagle, people would have thought us crazy. How times have changed.

We paddled up Clear Creek managing to get over several stick-jams and under some low branches until we finally found a log to big to pass over. since we were 2.5 miles away from van it was time to head back anyway.

We were out for 4 hours and covered 5 miles. Loaded up and headed home 5:30 pm.

Ken and Cheryl _________We miss our TCT family!_________

SaltF_A.jpg

SaltF_B.jpg

SaltF_C.jpg

SaltF_D.jpg
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote