Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Little Beaver Creek

Little Beaver Creek is considered one of the more challenging trips on the TCT Schedule. For new members it can be a great learning tool and experience. For Senior members a trip down memory lane of great paddles of the past.
Know matter what Beaver Creek offers some of the best Senic Views in the state with two Class II Rapids, and countless class I ripples.
Beaver Creek was the first creek in the State of Ohio to become a State Senic and Wild River when the program started.

Little Beaver Creek- Trip Leader Mike Danko

When-April 26th

Where-12905 Sprucevale Rd, East Liverpool, OH 43920
(Beaver Creek State Park Primitive Campgrounds)

Sprucevale Rd also goes by County Rd 428
GPS 40.70586, -80.580351

Time-10:30 AM

We will paddle from Sprucvale to the Lock 57 Community Launch in Ohioville PA.
This section is about 12 miles, but with the current it isn’t a hard 12; it is a fun 12 miles.
Beaver Creek is known for many class I riffles and two class II rapids and scenic views.

Right after the St Rt 170 Bridge in Fredericktown is the first class II rapid (Eagle Rapid). The second is after Grimms Bridge. (Dead mans curve)

I advise everyone to bring a skirt with your kayak to help stay dry. Reading water and boat control is a must on this creek due to some sharp bends and the two Class two Rapids. If you haven’t done this section and want to paddle please let us know at the beginning of the trip. We can have the newer paddlers stay with senior members and help guide you down the river.

At this time I am aware of one portage about a mile into the trip.

Pack a lunch as we will stop near the middle to relax and stretch.

The Lowest we paddle this is 3.0ft on the USGS Gauge

Highest we will paddle this is 6.0ft on the USGA Gauge

Any questions please email mfdanko99@yahoo.com
or call 330-766-3129
Mike Danko

Any other questions of the river, go to YOU TUBE and watch trumbull canoe trails Beaver Creek videos from last years trip.

Last edited by mfdanko99; 04-20-2015 at 08:42 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
EAR

I'll be there Mike. Bringing my trailer. Hope the water level holds up !
Ed
Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
mfdanko99

USGS is 3.85 ft at 7pm Saturday, WE ARE GOOD TO GO!!!

Last edited by mfdanko99; 04-25-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
KenM

Default Opinions please.

I might consider this trip but have reservations about the suitability of my boat (and my abilities) for this type of water. And the water and air temps.

My kayak(s):

Hurricane Santee Sport 12'6...a rec boat with hugh cockpit....I do have a half skirt that covers about 30" of the open cockpit but don't know how well it would shed a sheet of water coming over the bow (un-tested). It handles moving water well enough but I am not sure if this trip involves really tight manuvering.

option...Perception Prodigy 10' rec boat with large cockpit. I know that plowing thru standing waves will result in a lap-full of water (without any type of skirt). I think half skirt will fit. It's shorter so may be a bit more manuverable.

I would have prefered a bit warmer weather for this weekend but have lots of poly clothing and a goretex rain suit. Suitable atire for temps of 55-60 degs on this river?

I enjoy a river trip but do not aspire to be a whitewater paddler. Being fairly new to the club I haven't paddled much with you yet so am not quite sure what I might be getting into with a trip on the Little Beaver. I am familiar with the river and the reputation of the rapids. Possibly I may wait for a lesser trip until we get more acquainted. I won't be offended if you think I should wait for a calmer trip.

Thanks, KenM
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KenM For This Useful Post:
Lee3553  (04-25-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
mfdanko99

Either kayak would get down the river, I have made the trip in my 14 carolina, but I do recommend a skirt, even at 3ft there are some waves, and I could see you getting some water. Not a whitewater creek, but it has enough ripples with the two class two rapids to make to pay attention and have boat control.
At fredricktown you could easily get out and portage the main rapid. same with dead mans curve.

check out the you tube video's from 2014
type trumbull canoe trails beaver creek.

Last edited by mfdanko99; 04-24-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
EAR

I was contacted by a student from Canfield High School who is doing a story about development of the Mahoning River. He wanted to interview some people from the club and I told him Sunday morning before the run would be a good time to do that. I'll get there early to introduce him to members.
So behave yourself, clean your boat, wash your paddling cloths, and if you have hair, comb it, he will be filming the interviews.
Ed
Old 04-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
KenM

Default from Ken

Thanks Mike. I did take a look at the video(s). I don't think I would have trouble except for maybe the splash factor. Admittedly, we are not geared for this kind of water even though we could probably handle it. As I said, I was just contemplating this trip and will pass this time. --------Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
Greyhounds2

Default Beaver Creek

We're planning on coming for the Beaver Creek paddle. We both have coughs right now so we're hoping for a little warmer weather. We bought skirts for the kayaks so we'll get to try them out.

Mark & Kathy Murtha
Greyhounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:07 PM   #9
Greyhounds2

Default Too sick to come

Hi Mike,

We won't be able to paddle Beaver Creek as we have been sick in bed all day today. Hope you all have a great time.

Mark & Kathy Murtha
Greyhounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
mfdanko99

Thumbs up

What a great day we had for a beautiful paddle down beaver creek. We had 14 total paddlers in 13 boats (4 canoes & 9 kayaks). We had three who went for a swim.
The USGS gauge at Grimms Bridge was 3.80 ft and made for a nice float.
Still have the tree down in the S turn and we had to portage. besides that a very enjoyable day with great company.
Mike Danko