Old 03-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Oil Creek Paddle

Oil Creek -Titusville PA.

When-Sunday, April 7th

Where- Jersey Bridge Titusville PA (you can look up Jersey Bridge Titusville on Google)
The Bridge is on E Bloss St which turns in to Allen St, then turn is to Drake Well Rd.
Total length of this road is 1 mile from State Route 8

GPS 41°36′55″N 79°39′27″W

Time-11 am

Total Mileage of Paddle- 10 Miles

This will be my first time paddling this creek and several weeks ago a small group of us went up and found the put in and take out. Oil Creek is described as a beginners creek under normal conditions. On the USGS gauge at Rouseville PA the minimal level is 2.7 ft for most boats but a two man canoe they recommend 3 ft. For Ohio residents make sure your registrations are current with stickers in the correct places. For PA residents
DCNR posts the following information:
Non-powered boats must display one of the following: boat registration; launching permit or mooring permit from Pennsylvania State Parks, available at most state park offices; launching permit from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

Bring a packed lunch as we stop just down stream of millers farm. With a short walk up a side creek we will be able to access the bike trail with a port-a-john near by.
I am very excited to paddle this creek as it is the heart of this region much like the mahoning is the heart of the steel valley.

Directions to Jersey Bridge Put-in (from Warren, OH to Jersey Bridge takes me 1.5 hrs.)
The way I will be going is
-Interstate 80 East in to PA
-Get off at the State Route 8 (Franklin PA) exist.
-Follow St Rt. 8 North into Franklin.
-Follow St Rt. 8 through Franklin
- Stay on St Rt. 8 as you leave Franklin and head towards the town of Oil Creek. ( the Allegheny River will be to your right as you head towards Oil Creek)
-When you arrive at Oil Creek, St Rt. 8 will make a left and head north.
-From Oil Creek to East Bloss rd it is about 14 miles on St. Rt 8.
-As you come to Titusville you will see E Bloss rd and turn right on to E Bloss rd. (if you pass E Bloss road you will go over the creek and see a McDonald's on your right)
-Once on E Bloss rd follow it for 1 mile.
-Right before the bridge is a parking area on the right side of the road for bike riders and canoe launch.

If Oil Creek is to low or to high then our back up plan is to paddle the Allegheny River from Justice Park in Oil Creek to Franklin Pa were we take out for the French creek trip. That section is about 8 miles.
If you have any questions please call or text me at 330-766-3129.
If you are plan on attending please let me know on the forum on the website or by phone or text.
Thank you
Mike Danko
Old 03-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
SOS57

Default Oil Creek

Looking forward to this. First time on this water.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
djstone

Default Oil Creek

Tom and I did this run last year in May. The water was at 2.75 ft. We bottomed out many times making for a miserable trip. However, it was the most scenic water we have been on yet. We stopped for lunch and had an eagle swoop down from behind us and pluck a fish right out of the water. It was incredible! We plan on making this trip Sunday and hopefully the water will be a little deeper this time. This is one you won't want to miss!

Darla Freed
djstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:16 AM   #4
jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstone View Post
Tom and I did this run last year in May. The water was at 2.75 ft. We bottomed out many times making for a miserable trip. However, it was the most scenic water we have been on yet. We stopped for lunch and had an eagle swoop down from behind us and pluck a fish right out of the water. It was incredible! We plan on making this trip Sunday and hopefully the water will be a little deeper this time. This is one you won't want to miss!

Darla Freed
Sounds great, see everyone on Sunday!
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
JABussard

We plan on joining you this Sunday!
JABussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
Ambridger

I'll see everybody on Sunday at the crick.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
KenM

Default K & C rsvp = Yes

K & C are planning to come. About 120 mi for us. Maybe 2.5 hr with a stop for a Subway sandwhich.

Looks like water will be lowish but doable. 3.50 foot 10am Sat may drop to 3.1 ft ??
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
mfdanko99

Talking Thank you

Thank you to all who have texted me and posted on the site. Helps give me a idea who to look for.
Thank you again
Old 04-08-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
jimbo

Mike thanks for putting this trip together. Beautiful area, great weather and enough water.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #10
mfdanko99

Talking Review

What an amazing day with Temps near 70, and enough water to make a great float. USGS at Rouseville was 3.26 at the start of the paddle and down to 3.20 at the end.
My paddle zero will be 3.0 ft. on the USGS gauge.
I was surprised by the current of this creek. We made 9.71 mile in 2 hours and 23 minutes of paddling time. (Not including lunch) An average of 14.42 minutes per mile and our fastest mile was 13.45.
This by far is a great easy paddle for all skill levels. It reminded me of Tionesta Creek and parts of French Creek.

What a turn out for a farther than normal day trip. We had a total of 28 paddlers in 24 boats (20 Kayaks & 4 Canoes). It was so nice to see many old friends and get to catch up with.
It was also really nice to see some new members make there second trip with the club. Dustin paddle his canoe with his three daughters, while Fred and Julie paddled there sit on tops.

The shuttle went really easy thanks to Ken & Mark. Ken is always so willing to let us use his carpeted van. Mark surprised all of us; with Jodi out of town he rented a U-Haul van and took many of the drivers back.

It was nice to have restrooms at the lunch stop, even if it was a little bit of a hike.
One of the cool thing about the trip was how everyone helped each other out at the put-in, lunch stop and most of all at the take out.
The take out had about a 20 or 30 yard path from the river to the parking lot and everyone pitched in and grabbed anything from a boat to gear to make it easy for all who paddled.
Thank you to all who made this trip as it was a great trip with great friends.
Mike

Last edited by mfdanko99; 04-08-2019 at 05:12 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote