Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
KenM

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default First paddle 2019

Wed. 3-13-19

I couldn't stand it... a few clouds, no wind, 58 deg. I slid the kayak into the van, threw in the paddle gear, got "dressed" and headed to Deer Creek Reservoir. The park and launch site there is closed as they are re-constructing the launch site (that's another story!). That part of the lake is still covered with ice anyway. But up the road a short distance the lake is (mostly) ice-free. I found a fishing spot to launch from and started my 2019 paddling season. I was about 20 feet from the shore when it got foggy looking and began to get breezy... and rain. I was pretty well weather-proofed so stayed out and in less than 10 minutes the rain passed, the wind died and the sun came out. Wonderful. It was good to be out skimming across the smooth water again. Just me and the Mergansers, seagulls, some other duck-a-loids and a few dozen (not too noisy) geese. Other than a short trip out to the ice, I paddled close to shore in the shallow water listening to the birds. Also observed was a possum hunting the shoreline for winter kill fish. I paddled up to the "tunnel" and back for about 2.8 miles, about 1-1/4 hours. Of course, I got carried away and paddled too fast so now I can feel those neck, back and shoulder muscles that haven't been used since November. ---------------KenM
DeerCrk_5.jpg

DeerCrk_7.jpg
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
jimbo

TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Nice! I am waiting for the 24th
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
mfdanko99