Old 10-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Connie to Mahoning 10-9-16

This has been a rough year for paddlers. Specially for TCT, we have had more cancelled trips or shorten trips then I can remember due to storms, heat or lack of water.
That is the case for the Connoquenessing this weekend. USGS 1.8 ft. and dropping and the Minimal we need is 2.2 ft.
That isn?t going to stop Bruce Ambrose from getting a trip for this weekend.
We are going to switch to our home river; The Mighty Mahoning!!

Mahoning River-Lowellville to Edinburg Section

When- Sunday October 9th

Where- 22 W Water St, Lowellville, OH 44436 (Just down from Carchedi?s Restaurant)

GPS 41.03725, -80.53722

Time 11am

Once we meet up and unload all gear at the put in we will run our shuttle to Coverts Crossing in Edinburg PA (GPS 40.996668, -80.414882)

Map my Run website has this paddle at 8.3 miles. This section has many little riffles and some slow sections as well. The two main rapids are class I + (maybe class II at higher levels)

The first one is right near the start of the paddle. The old coffer dam. It is very easy as you follow the current into the middle of the river than follow the current to a 45-degree angle and hold your line and keep paddling.

The second is just past the 224 bridge. This is a super easy rapid to get through. Line up in the middle and paddle straight through it. Very straight forward when it comes to rapids but it is a fun one to go through.

Pack a lunch as we will stop somewhere after church hill rd.

After the paddle I will be stopping at Station Grill 300 E Liberty St, Lowellville, OH 44436
TCT stopped there in 2014 for a good meal and some beers after a good paddle
Mike Danko & Bruce Ambrose
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
Mary Kane  (10-06-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
EAR

Default Peddle paddle

I think I'll be there Sunday, and I'll do it as a peddle, paddle trip. If you would like to join me, show up about 9:30 to drop off boats and gear, then drive to the end and ride back on the Stavich bike trail. A little worried about what to do with the bike, but we can chain them together or something.
Ed
Old 10-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
flagsracer9

Pictures from yesterday are posted
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flagsracer9 For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (10-10-2016), mfdanko99  (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
BOBK

WAY WAY WAY better than what Mike's pictures would have looked like...thanks Jess!
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBK For This Useful Post:
mfdanko99  (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
JPTolson

Thanks to trip leaders Mike Danko and Bruce Ambrose for a great trip on the lower Mahoning. The weather was nice and the water level, 2.59 on the Lowellville gage, was low, but very adequate. Much to the consternation of Bob K, the number of canoes (five) nearly equaled the number of kayaks (seven). But thanks to one episode of kayak carnage, I believe that the Rigby Rules apply (a flipped kayak counts as one more canoe and one less kayak), making the final score a tie, canoes 6-kayaks 6. It was a beautiful day on the river! Thanks to Jessica for the pictures.

Last edited by JPTolson; 10-12-2016 at 07:09 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
mfdanko99  (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
mfdanko99

Talking Trip Review

What a great trip on the Lower Mahoning from Lowellville to Edinburg Coverts Crossing.
I loved that water level, 2.59 ft USGS Lowellville Gauge.
Just Like the Upper Section in Warren, I truly believe this part of the river is at its best when it is low.
The lower levers allow a better current and a great view of the rocky bottom of the Mahoning River in this section.
It also allows some fun ripples to come alive and makes you read the water as the current changes directions through the twists and turns.

We had a great turnout of 14 paddlers. (5 Canoes, and 7 Kayaks), But as you can see the canoes carried more people so we had a tie for paddlers.

We did have one carnage near the beginning, but he came up happy and laughing.
I overheard several comments on how pretty and scenic this section is and how we need to keep this on the schedule for years to come.
If you haven’t done Lowellville to Edinburg, you need to.
If you want company let me know I will come running if I can.

After the paddle a group of 9 meet at the Station Grill on Liberty street for some beers and great food. It was fun just to hang out and get to know each other a little better and share some laughs.

Thank you to all who came
Mike Danko
PS much easier with the Train trestles gone just outside of Lowellville

Last edited by mfdanko99; 10-11-2016 at 08:12 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (10-12-2016)