Old 09-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
MarkinCortland

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Oldtown loon 126 vs WS pungo 140

I've been canoeing and Kayaking since the early 70's. Mostly white water. Got into sailing when my kids were little. Want to get back into paddling with my wife it's new for her. Been looking at getting a couple of old town loon 126s. Saw a deal on a Wilderness systems pungo 140 at LL bean. Looks nice at 200 dollars less. Anyone have an opinion? I like the three layer of the loon but like the longer pungo at 14 feet. Thinking the loon has better built in foam layer flotation and being shorter ar 12.5 feet might be better for rivers like the Mahoning. Thinking of getting one of each or 2 loons. I live near mosquito lake. So will being doing paddling there a lot of too.

Looking forward to seeing folks in the club and paddling together.

Mark

Last edited by MarkinCortland; 09-21-2016 at 04:02 PM.
MarkinCortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Paladin1aa

I had an Old Town Loon 138 for more than 10 years. Tough as nails, good floatation and easy to paddle. It was a great boat. I know nothing about the 126 but would go with the shorter boat based on what rivers and lakes the club usually paddles. Based on what I know about the Pungos, decent boat but 'ponderous" to paddle. Not quick at all. Both are stable, comfortable seating and generous pack room. The 126 will be quicker to turn and control more easily than the longer boat. If $$$$$ isn't a major concern, I'd take the 126.

I'm from the Cortland area and know Mosquito well. My son and I both fished out of Loons at Mosquito. Club does lots of Mahoning, Alleghany , Shenango, etc but little lake paddling.

Last edited by Paladin1aa; 09-20-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Paladin1aa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paladin1aa For This Useful Post:
MarkinCortland  (09-21-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Ambridger

Go to a store(s) where you can sit in them and assess your comfort. The ORE store in Boardman has a nice variety of boats in stock, and they are able to tell you the ins and out of the different styles. Also, look at reviews on line, and You Tube as well. Take your time and do the research. Looking forward to seeing you on the water.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambridger For This Useful Post:
MarkinCortland  (09-21-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #4
MarkinCortland

Default Got two loon 126s

Well just got two old town loon 126 Kayaks last Saturday. Still need paddles and pfds. Will be good by spring. Looking forward to seeing you folks.
MarkinCortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
mfdanko99

Mark
If you need paddles or pfd's and would like to make the Headwater paddle coming up this month or the Chilly Chili paddle in December let me know I have extra paddles and pfd's if you want to paddle.

Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
MarkinCortland  (11-04-2016)