Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Beaver Creek Review 2011

What a trip we had on the Beaver Creek on Sunday, April 17th.

We meet at Sprucvale and did the shuttles to the take out and was in the water with in a hour, thanks to the help of Rich & Patty, and Jerry & Billie for helping with the shuttling and seeing off the crazy ones who went.

We also had a good surprise show up, 4 YSU students and 2 instructors came along with our insane 7. Are line up was
John Paul, Ed Riby, John Little, Jonathan Burrows, Mary, Brad & My self.
So total of 13, (2 canoes & 11 kayaks)

We started out great with a water level of 8.7 ft, and let me just say; that water was moving.
Once we hit fredricktown that's were we hit a class III style rapids with waves of 3 to 4 ft. It was the greatest thing I have ever experienced on water. It was like a seen out of a white water rafting movie. Plus Jerry & Billie was on top of the bridge watching. We only had two go in at the spot, and it was easy getting them out and making sure all was ok.

From there we had a great ride with two more spills before we hit Grimms bridge were we stopped for lunch and talk to Jerry & billie again (they were following and taking Pictures).

After lunch is were it got really interesting. One the next major rapid we had two more fall in, and the one YSU student even said (it was nice to be dry for five minutes after our lunch were he had just changed cloths)

After that and a couple of bends later then trouble hit, there was a tree down causing a big strainer, some got buy ok, but one Student got stuck on it and was hang there, we yelled to let go. before she did John Paul naturally tried to help, but also tipped in and the canoe filled up. As I past buy I tried to help the YSU Student but missed, and then saw John Paul above the water hanging to a branch. As he said keep going, I hit a branch not paying attention to what was in front of me, and I flipped over. I floated a long way down river before I got pulled to shore by a YSU student with a throw bag.
Jonathan & John Paul got the canoe unstuck and free, and got the YSU student in with John Paul and made it out ok. But the student lost her paddle as it wasn't tied up.
While all that happened I made it to shore and with help of the YSU instructors I jumped back in the water holding on to a throw bag while the instuctors held the other side to sling me down river, so I could get to the stuck kayak. Once I ran in to hit and got it free they just sling shotted me back to shore. Man was I tired after that; I felt like I got just got into a street fight and lost. But it showed what great team work we had and how we can think clearly in a bad situation, and come out all ok.
With that one problem, we lost a paddle, and my spray skirt to the Beaver Creek.
Once that was done and everyone was ok, John Paul had a extra rider with him, and Ed opened a new bussiness. called Ed's towing has he towed the YSU kayak.

From there we had three more spills and Yes I was one of them. With out my spray skirt I filled up with water going threw more rapids and lost my balance. I had a very long float on top of my kayak as it was upside down until I hit the shore with the help of Jonathon. At this point I was laughing because it was funny that I flipped over, but never lost my hat!!!!

In the process of those last set of rapids, Ed lost the kayak he was towing and one of the YSU students was able to get it and finish towing to the end.

Then the creek got wider and flattened out with a great and easy landing to finish a great senic & WILD ride down the Little Beaver Creek, were we fought high water's, rapid's and high winds.

But wait there is more. When we were all loading up and I notice a green canoe in the water floating down the creek to the OHIO river, then I realized it was John Pauls, but John Paul was next to me at our cars. I sprinted down to the water dragging my kayak and got back in and paddled out to his canoe, were John Little was already out there and had got control of the canoe with a rope. We got it back to shore and got everyone loaded and ready for a nice trip home.

I want to say thanks to everyone for one of the best adventure's I ever had!!!

THANK YOU
Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
burrowsj  (04-18-2011), JPTolson  (04-19-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
burrowsj

When can we do that again!!!!!!!! I haven't been that tired in awhile,but it was awesome!!!!

burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
jerry lyda

Default Beaver creek

Mike , wait till you see the pics I got ! JP, can you call me ?
jerry lyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
EAR

Default yee-hawww

This run definitely had a lot of the yee-haw factor in it!! I haven't been in water that fast or waves that big since being on the Cheat River in a raft. My big Mad River handled it pretty well, but I had my moments!! I didn't even know I had the fun until after I got through. But fun was short lived when you look around and see people in the water behind you and in front of you.
The water level was too high for a club run, in my opinion. I think Deb was right in her comment on another page that 6ft is about the highest level this should be run by the average paddler. It was nearly 9 for us.When half your group has been in the water, it's not a good day. When you have to use your throwbags multiple times, it's not a good day. And the situation with the kayak pinned against the log, nose first, was downright dangerous. Mike wrecked trying to help. John Paul swamped trying to help. How Jon got in there to help, I don't know.
Thank goodness for the big canoes on the last two run! I had to paddle back upstream and ferry across to pluck a stranded kayaker two weeks ago and John had to carry the kayaker back because of a lost paddle from the crash.
But the canoes were at a big disadvantage in the strong winds that would kick up. It was some hard work. But I didn't go in!!
I wouldn't mind doing the section again at a high level but without the wind and with out it being an official club run..
Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
suram

Default Glad you all made it safely...

I was so disappointed that I couldn't make this trip but after hearing Mike's narrative it's probably a good thing! I think it would have been a little too traumatic....OK call me a cupcake! Please email me if you do this trip again and the water is not that high! I think I'll get some spray skirts too
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
suram

Default Pictures?

Jerry where have you posted pics from this?
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
JPTolson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAR View Post
This run definitely had a lot of the yee-haw factor in it!! I haven't been in water that fast or waves that big since being on the Cheat River in a raft. My big Mad River handled it pretty well, but I had my moments!! I didn't even know I had the fun until after I got through. But fun was short lived when you look around and see people in the water behind you and in front of you.
The water level was too high for a club run, in my opinion. I think Deb was right in her comment on another page that 6ft is about the highest level this should be run by the average paddler. It was nearly 9 for us.When half your group has been in the water, it's not a good day. When you have to use your throwbags multiple times, it's not a good day. And the situation with the kayak pinned against the log, nose first, was downright dangerous. Mike wrecked trying to help. John Paul swamped trying to help. How Jon got in there to help, I don't know.
Thank goodness for the big canoes on the last two run! I had to paddle back upstream and ferry across to pluck a stranded kayaker two weeks ago and John had to carry the kayaker back because of a lost paddle from the crash.
But the canoes were at a big disadvantage in the strong winds that would kick up. It was some hard work. But I didn't go in!!
I wouldn't mind doing the section again at a high level but without the wind and with out it being an official club run..
I agree with Ed that the water level was too high and significantly increased the risk for group safety. We were very fortunate that the pin situation worked out as well as it did. I think our future approach to trips with conditions like this deserves further consideration and discussion among club members.

That sobering assessment aside, the trip also provided some exhilaration for many as well as a few Keystone cops antics such as when I let go of BOTH ends of a throw bag when trying to get the rope out to swimmer and when the blustery winds blew my canoe back into the creek at the take out without anyone in it. Thanks again to John and Mike for chasing it down.

And, finally, I think that our experience on Little Beaver again points out the need and benefit of swift water rescue training. Although the club doesn't paddle particularly difficult rivers (Sunday was an exception), the knowledge gained from exposure to the techniques taught in these classes helps to increase our personal and collective skills on the water, and should make us a better and safer group of paddlers.

No doubt, we will remember the trip Sunday on Little Beaver Creek for a long time.

jp

Last edited by JPTolson; 04-20-2011 at 11:30 AM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
jerry lyda

Default pics

I am trying to get with JP to get them on the site. I struggle with technoligy
jerry lyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
justbrad

Default My two cents on Sunday's trip

That was without a doubt the largest concentration of big waves I have ever experienced on one trip. It was a roller coaster ride from the moment we put in, even if I did get ejected in a spin cycle near the end. What a rush!!

That being said, I agree with Ed and John Paul that our safety skills could use a little fine tuning. Maybe we could do something at the picnic to practice our safety bag tosses - make a game of it to see who can throw it the furthest and/or the most accurately. Also, we should practice the art of being rescued - How to grab the line and how to get reeled in. The whole idea of these exercises would be to experience them in a controlled environment so that we will know what to do in the heat of an actual rescue.

Sunday also left me with a greater appreciation of the t-grippers. Having to use a canoe paddle to maneuver around (since I absent mindedly left my paddle in the trunk of my car way back at the take out) made me realize how much more canoeists have to plan their moves several steps ahead, instead of just being able to paddle like hell to get out of tricky situations like we kayakers can get away with. Not to mention how canoes are truly the tractor trailers of the water, ably pulling people to shore and hauling people and supplies around. Maybe some day I might even think about getting one of my own. BTW, thanks to Ed for the use of the paddle, to JP for collecting me and my boat from the raging waters, and to Mike for putting the whole trip together.
justbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
mbbowman

Talking Beaver Creek Run

I would like to thank TCT again for allowing us to join them and for their assistance on the river especially JP and Mike. Everyone from YSU Adventure Rec. had a great time, even with the problems. It was an awesome run. Sunday was a learning experience for us. I personally am attending for the second year the Slippery Rock Creek Rodeo. I am also taking other members of my staff. It is a great introductory course to swift water rescue. Last year it was an ACA course. No tests just participation. If anyone is interested here is the web site.

http://threeriverspaddlingclub.com/2...tional-clinic/

Looking forward to paddling with every one again.

Michael Bowman
mbbowman is offline   Reply With Quote