Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
swampboy62

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Bike & Boat - Mahoning River

Developed a 'Bike & Boat' map for the Warren Bicyclists facebook community page, and thought I'd share it with the TCT paddlers. If you have anything you think needs added to the paddling section let me know.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...jXPRxl-E&hl=en

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
JPTolson

Are you aware of the map that was developed a couple years ago by Trumbull MetroParks for the Mahoning River Water Trail? It should provide most of the paddling-related information. In the online map at the above link, I believe Thomas Swift Park is mis-labeled as Foster Park; there is also a dam at Rotary Park that should be noted.

Last edited by JPTolson; 01-14-2014 at 08:37 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
swampboy62  (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
swampboy62

Thanks for pointing that out - correction made.

Actually saw the map for the first time just a week or so ago. The Metroparks web page and map are linked now.

Steve Z
Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Fifthpig

So, am I to understand the TCT will be scheduling a Bike/kayak trip this year ??? Sounds Fun !!
Fifthpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
swampboy62

Dunno about that.

Trying to develop a range of info for local bicyclists, and since I've been a paddler for 20 years I thought that these Bike & Boat trips should be highlighted.

Personally, I like the Beaver Creek trip:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.kx-cwiZ6krj0

Beautiful creek when the water is up, and the rail trail has to be one of the best around.

Steve Z
Old 01-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Fifthpig

Is that all roads or is there an actual bike trail there?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Fifthpig

Just for clarification, my question regarding the bike trail vs roads was in reference to the Mahoning River bike/kayak, not the Beaver Creek (which is going on my "to do" list). Please provide more of these routes, I'm very interested.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
JPTolson

There would also be the Cuyahoga where one paddles through the national park and a bike shuttle via the towpath that runs along the river.

Also, the Allegheny has a riverside bike trail in the Franklin, PA area.

Not sure about how close the Stavich Trail stays to the lower Mahoning, but that may be another possibilty.

And the one I'm most familiar with is the C&O Canal Towpath that runs along the Potomac River from Cumberland, Maryland to Washington, DC.

Never stopped to think about it before, but there must be lots of bike trails along rivers these days

Last edited by JPTolson; 01-15-2014 at 02:22 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
swampboy62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTolson View Post
There would also be the Cuyahoga where one paddles through the national park and a bike shuttle via the towpath that runs along the river.

Also, the Allegheny has a riverside bike trail in the Franklin, PA area.

Not sure about how close the Stavich Trail stays to the lower Mahoning, but that may be another possibilty.

And the one I'm most familiar with is the C&O Canal Towpath that runs along the Potomac River from Cumberland, Maryland to Washington, DC.

Never stopped to think about it before, but there must be lots of bike trails along rivers these days
JP you've named most of the ones that I was thinking about, plus the Cuyahoga, which I hadn't considered. I was also considering the lower Beaver Creek section, that has the mountain bike trail next to it. And even though it's a bit farther away, the Clarion River upstream from Cooks Forest - they resurfaced that whole 20 miles of road next to the river recently and it's smooooth as butter.

Here's a link to the only other one I have ready at this time - East Sandy Creek into the Allegheny River near Franklin, PA:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.kDjsz5x3Xbj0

I've done that East Sandy run dozens of times - if waters up and there's anyone thinking about heading that way, post up and maybe I can head over too.

As far as fifthpig's question about the Mahoning route - yes, that's all road riding. It's on an official Ohio bicycle route - route J. Not many people are aware of the route, and it's not actually all the most appealing of roads - but the segment shown as the shuttle shouldn't be too bad.

Steve Z

Last edited by swampboy62; 01-15-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
BOBK

The bike path along the Allegheny is all paved and runs from Oil City to Parker PA. I have biked from Franklin to Emlenton and it is gorgeous. All flat and smooth with NO crossroads.