Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Ashtabula River report

Friday the 2nd I did the Ashtabula river for the first time. It is a blast with some nice rapids and a true class 2 at low level and class 3 at high level.

I started at Green Hill road and finished at Stevens rd wich is also know as the Ford.
This section is about 5 miles. the start is nice and flat with little ripples, then at the first cover bridge there is a 1 foot drop that makes a fun rapid. There our about 3 of those on this section.

About half way threw there is a drop off about 4 to 5 feet, but the rocks are shaped so you can slide down them, there is no under toe at the bottem due to the way the rock a formed, it is all shale rock. I make it over that and did it once more for fun.

Then the best rapid is right after dewey rd. It is the true rapid with a 2 or 3 foot drop followed with a turn and a little rapid right after it.
I did this one about three times and loved it every time.

After that there are some nice little ripples to get wet in.
I did this in my 14 ft carolina with my spray skirt, if not I would have filled up several times.

Due to the drops I know this wouldn't be a good club run, but if anyone wants to do it let me know I am willing to go again.

Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 09-06-2011 at 07:16 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
JPTolson

Sounds like a sweet stream, Mike, that I'd love to paddle sometime. How does it compare to Little Beaver in terms of difficulty at moderate levels? I don't see a USGS or NOAA gage on it. Did you happen to see a painted gage anywhere? How much water (inches/feet) above paddling zero do you estimate you had? Thanks for the report.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
burrowsj

I would be interrested in some fall rapid fun. How was the water quality.
burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
mfdanko99

Like you said JP there is no water gauge but the conneaut was at 1 ft and the Grand River was reading 3.5 ft.

The Ashtabula reminded me a lot of grand river, do to the same landscape, Most of it is easier than the beaver creek, except the 4-5 foot drop and the rapid after dewey rd.

The water is very clean, but from talking to people who live around there it is best to do the river after a rain to be safe on enough water.
I was able to touch bottom the whole time with my paddle. The places I got out to scout the drops and rapids were knee high and waist high. The whole creek bottom is a slate type rock, never stepped in any mud.

I might be able to go sunday and I was thinking since we past ashtabula that on the way home some of us could do it.
The shuttle is very easy, as I used my bike on friday.
But for Kayakers or as JP says the darkside, bring your spray skirt because of the drops.
Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
burrowsj

I can't do sunday. I'm bringing my nephew on the presque Isle trip and he isn't ready for a 5ft drop. I don't won't to cause him pain at least till the third trip.
burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote