Old 08-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Foam Block Transport for a Rec Kayak

Has anyone had experience transporting their kayak upside down on a car top using foam blocks attached to the cockpit combing that sit on the roof of the vehicle? There would be a four-point tie down, two ropes or webbing around the kayak going through the passenger compartment and both ends secured to the front and rear of the vehicle. How does this arrangement perform over long distances at highway speeds? I need to send a kayak back to New Jersey with my nephew. Thanks for any insights.

Last edited by JPTolson; 08-01-2019 at 12:15 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
KenM

Default Foam block carriers

I've seen a few canoes with foam gunnel blocks being carried in that manor that looked reasonably secure. That method might depend on how stiff the roof is? I don't recall having seen a kayak mounted that way. It might depend on if the kayak had a pronounced cockpit lip so the body of the boat is "lifted" above the roof metal. Loading the kayak upside down onto the roof might need two people.

I have seen kayaks mounted UPRIGHT on two of the longer curved foam blocks with the appropriate straps. That seems to be ok IF all the straps are snugged down well and kept snug. I've also seen loose boats with this method because people don't have the foggiest idea how to secure a boat.

The problem with upright kayaks (and that's how we car-top them...easier to load from the rear) is RAIN. You need to have the cockpit covered. You could just tape down heavy plastic over the cockpit and use 2" tape all around to seal. Sometimes an open cockpit also makes a lot of wind noise.

If you carry the boat on foam I'd suggest you use "V" ropes front and rear if you can find tie points. That will help stop any L-R movement.

Other loading options I bet you've seen too... A blanket, nothing at all, pool noodles!! Groan.

--Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Ambridger

We used to always transport our 13.5 foot tandem on foam blocks that sat on the roof rails. Worked fine. As Ken mentioned, just make sure you use all the appropriate straps and recheck them at each stop. The set of blocks we had came with straps that went through the blocks, and then around the boat, securing the boat and blocks to one another.

Last edited by Ambridger; 08-02-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
jshaffer2806

Since I do not have roof rails on my vehicle, I transport my kayak upright on foam blocks and secured at four points. It works okay for me, but there is sometimes an annoying vibrating sound from wind noise.
jshaffer2806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
JPTolson

Thanks very much Ken, Mark, Janet, Mary, and Stan for the comments.
JP

Last edited by JPTolson; 08-09-2019 at 07:22 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
Mary Kane

Default Foam pads and tie down straps

I, too, use foam pads on my roof rack - always have. Just a note for JANET - RE: the annoying "vibration" sounds. Don't keep the straps FLAT, they'll vibrate like mad. Put a 'twist' (or three) in the straps and they won't be so noisy.
Mary Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #7
KenM

Default Solved!

Another solution.

kayak1.JPG
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
SOS57

Just as a thought I have a set of strap on pads made for kayaks and such on cars without racks. Sold for about $30.00 the set included 2 pads that have webbing to fasten them down and 2 cam type straps for the kayak. This goes through the doors before closing them, or can be fed though a window opening. Just add front and rear tie downs. I'm out of state right now or I would include a pic and the brand.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
Brandon Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Another solution.

Attachment 209
Ha ha, classic. Where there's a will, there's a way. I've some similar craziness with ladders. SMH
Brandon Martin is offline   Reply With Quote