Old 03-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Charlie Walbridge, Whitewater Safety Expert

Earlier this evening (3/24/21) I had the good fortune of joining a ZOOM presentation by Charlie Walbridge, a nationally known expert on whitewater safety and swiftwater rescue. He also maintains the accident database for American Whitewater and has written many books and articles on whitewater boating. He teaches swift water rescue, although I don't see anything scheduled at this time for later in the year (COVID???). He has a wealth of paddling knowledge. Some may find it interesting and informative to browse his website. (Be patient, it takes a while to load.)
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:29 AM   #2
River Rat

Well I hope you got some valuable takeaways from the presentation.
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
JPTolson

Default Whitewater Self Defense

The presentation gave an interesting historical perspective on the evolution of whitewater safety. For example in the 1950s, the early days of whiitewater boating, hardly anyone wore a PFD.

Here is a link to a couple good instructional videos on whitewater safety and rescue in which Charlie Walbridge is a main contributor. The video is shot on water much more difficult than we paddle as a club and gets into advanced rescue techniques. But still, it has some very useful tips for any of us. Look for the two videos entitled Whitewater Self Defense.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote