Old 02-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default RIP: Jake Jones

I was saddened to read in the Vindy this morning (2/9/16) of the passing of Jake Jones who occasionally paddled with the club. Jake was a competitive paddler and heck of a nice guy. I owe a debt of gratitude to Jake. After a trip on the Mahoning through Youngstown several years ago, I discovered that I left a dry bag with spare car keys on the gravel bar at cement plant rapids after our lunch stop. I flagged down Jake just as he was leaving to go home to ask if he could help me find that spot on the river from land. He was happy to help and led us through some mean and desolate streets to the exact spot on the river where I was able to swim across to retrieve the bag.

Below is his obit.

RALPH J. 'JAKE' JONES

BOARDMAN - A Mass of Christian Burial, celebrated by the Very Rev. Edward Noga, will be at 10:30 a.m., Thursday, at St. Patrick Church in Youngstown, for Ralph J. ?Jake? Jones, 77, who passed away Friday, Feb. 5, at Hospice House, with his loving family by his side.

Mr. Jones was born Nov. 21, 1938, in Youngstown, was a son of Daniel W. and Florence Hangardner Jones, and was a lifelong member of the community.

He was a member of Plasters Union Local 179 and was employed by General Motors, Lordstown from 1966 and retired in 1998, as an ARO on the assembly line until 1998. Mr. Jones was a member of the church its Men?s Club, UAW Local 1112 and was a 1956 graduate of South High School. Mr. Jones loved the outdoors and wood working, where he designed and built many canoes, paddles and kayaks and went hand and hand, winning the USCA (United States Canoe Association) National Championship and the USCA State Championship both in 2012, for kayak racing competition. He was a wonderful family man being so proud of his children and grandchildren and as an artist he left many oil and water paintings.

He leaves to cherish his memory, his wife, the former Marie K. Rowe, whom he married Nov. 15, 1958, at St. Patrick Church; children Kathleen (Dennis) Emptage of Youngstown, Daniel R. (Deborah) Jones of Columbus and Matthew E. (Lanore) Jones of Youngstown; brother Jack Jones of Boardman; sisters Jane Yannitta of Boardman, Sister Mary Clare Jones of Texas, Rachel (Tom) McKenzie of Salem and Mary Lou Forman of Parma; and six grandchildren, Delia Dow, Lucy Jones, Jessica Jones, Nate Jones, Daniel Jones and Jacob Jones.

Besides his parents, Mr. Jones was preceded in death by his brothers, Daniel, Asa, Thomas and Robert Jones.

The family will receive relatives and friends from 9:30 to 10:15 a.m., Thursday, at the church.

The family has requested that contributions be made to Hospice of the Valley, 5190 Market St., Youngstown, OH 44512; and/or Antonine Sisters, 2675 N. Lipkey Road, North Jackson, OH 44451.

Visit the funeral home web site www.mccauleyfuneral.com to leave thoughts and condolences for the family.

Arrangements by the McCauley Funeral Home, serving the valley for more than 114 years!

- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/tributes/#....dvv0d9Ie.dpuf
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
BandanaDan

Thanks for sharing this. Jake was one of the masters I looked up to when I started getting serious about racing back in the 80's. Just a wonderful man. My prayers go out to his family.
BandanaDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
mfdanko99

I also remember jake very well. He always paddled the green pickle on club paddles and it was great to hear his stories of past paddles and all he achieved

I am sad to hear of his passing

Mike
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote