Old 08-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Ashtabula River Tonight 8-21-14

I am working in Ashtabula today and will be paddling the Whitewater section from Green Hill rd to the Ford. This 4 mile section is all class II with many of the rapids bing small drops. The biggest is Dewy Rd Rapid with is a 4ft drop.

I might also go from the Ford to Indian Valley Park whis adds about 3.1 miles of class I and two class II rapids.

I use the conneaut gauge to see if Ashtabula is runnable and it is. As of 9:30 am it is at 1.6 and rising. Very Nice levels up to 3ft then it becomes pushy.

If anyone wants to join me give me a call 330-766-3129.
I get off work at 4:30pm
You must have a shirt and a helmet is a good idea.

Mike Danko
ps like a dummy I forgot my go pro :(

At noon, level is 3.29ft

Last edited by mfdanko99; 08-21-2014 at 10:59 AM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
EAR

WOW! That was fun! It was like a 2 hour thrill ride with little time for relaxing. We took a short break to portage the "ford", and now I understand why it's called that. They built the road into the riverbed. It's a stepped concrete design with about a 6ft drop on one side. No one was trying to ford the river today, although we saw several cars come down and look.
The river level was just under 3ft, which Mike said was perfect (for a skirted kayak!). I think I was pushing the limits with the 16ft Mad River canoe. I have never had to stop so many times to bale out water as I did on this run as we crashed big wave after big wave. The old Clorox bottle I use to bale got a real workout today. I had a little trouble with some of the angled ledges that we went over but the 2 big drops (3ft+) were easy enough.
At the end I was completely soaked but I didn't go in, though I came close when about 20 gallons of water came in the boat going over a ledge.
This will be a section I'd like to do again at a water level between 2-2.5ft. Mike said a low limit is 1.5ft and over 3ft it gets tricky. Especiallyfor guys in open canoes.
JPTolson  (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
JPTolson

Sounds like a really fun run. Would really like to hit it sometime, but it sounds like it would be difficult to schedule very far in advance. Thanks for the trip report, Ed.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
mfdanko99

Talking

What a great trip, I am so glade Ed came up. Ashtabula River is one of mine favorite to do. Like Ed said no stop action, and yesterday was a perfect level. My dream level.
It is hard to plan in advance due to it rises and falls so fast.
I look at Conneaut gauge to reference it. They are very close in same levels.

I would love to see more people join me on this section. I have paddled it the last four years and have it memorized and can help guide people threw.
It is a fun and safe whitewater experience, that is hidden to most.

Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (08-24-2014)