Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
b4evercountry

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default New Member - Columbiana/Leetonia Area

Hello All! New guy here!

Just bought a kayak last week, getting the registration done this friday. Hoping to take it out friday to a lake to get used to it. Somethign I've always wanted to do, and I finally am getting into it. I got a Aruba 10ft, as the price was right. Im sure I will upgrade as I learn and become more active in the hobby.

A little about me: Names Darren. I Live in the Leetonia/Columbiana area. I work in downtown Youngstown (I.T. Support). I enjoy Hunting, Fishing, Target/Competition shooting, ATVs, and Motorcycles.

I was informed about the site while eating lunch today at Jorgines Deli by one of the members here. (Didn't get his name). Maybe he will stumble upon this. Site looks awesome, just what I was looking for. Some information about the local waters, and a group of people to join! I spend a lot of time in the Beaver creek area. Ride the motorcycle down and fish a lot.

Ill stop rambling now, just wanted to say HI! Cant wait to join and help out in any way possible!
b4evercountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
jimbo

Default Hi

Welcome aboard, see you on the water.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
b4evercountry

Also curious on the information regarding the differences between regular boat registration ($21.50 and buying the numbers), compared to the "ohio alternative registration"
Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
BOBK

If you have a hand powered boat (kayak, canoe) that will never be motorized, then instead of an Ohio sticker and letters and numbers on each side of your kayak you get one 3"x6" sticker for your craft. Much simpler and easier, I wish I would have known about it.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
jd455

Default My experience with new registration and OH numbers?

Hello all. I?m sort of new to kayaking as well. I had to transfer and register 2 kayaks this year (got them off Craig?s list late last year..) So, off to the closest place from the watercraft website? the local Gander Mountain.. Found they only had papers and stickers that use the OH numbers, they didn?t even know about the alternate registration. I think this was mainly because they had only started to provide the service a week before. Turns out, even the other places that offer regular watercraft registration don?t have the alternate yet.. they seem to be only available at Watercraft Offices like the one outside of Akron, OH.. You should call wherever you plan to go before you go to make sure they have it.. I ended up making the trip days later.. but I got it for the one kayak.. so now in 3 years, I?ll have to change the OH-numbered one to the alternate by renewing on-line and it should show up in the mail.. also, the alternate registration has a mandatory donation to conservation, so its $25 vs the 20-21 for regular registrations.. but you won?t have peeling OH numbers every year.. so i may be cheaper in the long run.. and neater on the kayak..
have a great day
bjp
jd455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
champ

Default welcome to the club

welcome to the club and I am sure you will have lots of fun. I just sent you an email about kayaking this weekend .
champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
b4evercountry

Thank you all for the replies!

Champ... I messaged you back!

As far as registration goes. Ive gathered this... Regular registration = $21.50, you have to buy and put the OH numbers on it, good for 3 years. Alternative = One sticker, but you have to travel to get it, or you have to send in the mail for it, costs $25, and is still only 3 years. I think ill be doing regular registration for now if that is all true. My local license bereau can take care of me friday then.