Old 04-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Neshonneck Falls

Paul is putting together a side trip of the Neshonneck falls / gorge section.
The take out is on St RT 956 (GPS 41.082968, -80.306712) About 2 miles south of New Wilmington PA.
We will meet at the take out and do are shuttle.
We will Meet at 11am

Paul & several other from the club has done this section several times with little carnage.

River Description From American white water website.
The Neshannock Gorge is an interesting class II run with about 8 rapids in one mile. Starts between two old stone bridge abutments. The rapids start at this right turn, with the biggest rapid (Neshannock Falls) only 50 yards downstream. (Note that the hole at the end of Neshannock Falls may become retentive at higher water levels.) Some of the rapids are eroded ledges with big old boulders to dodge, then there are some long wave train sections, where the creek drops steadily.

One of the neat things about this run is how isolated it feels. You're down in a narrow wooded valley with no roads or buildings visible after the 956 bridge. The first time I paddled here it was a solo run, and as I passed between the old bridge abutments I looked up to see a group of Amish watching me float by. This is also a stocked trout stream, so it can have a bunch of fishermen near the bridges in season.

MAKE sure to bring spray Skirt & extra close.
Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 04-13-2013 at 12:51 PM.
mfdanko99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
mfdanko99

Also I will be bringing my Perception Swifty 9.5 for anyone who wants to try this section in a very stable boat. I have made several runs in this section using this boat.
I will also be bring my Jackson Rocker white water boat if anyone would like to try it. I am really thinking of selling it for I can get the boat I really want.

Mike Danko
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
erbego

Default Neshonneck Falls

I'm curious about this run because I've never heard any of my whitewater friends talk about running it. Count me in for today's trip.

Erin
erbego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
mfdanko99

Paul put together a great run with the help of two new members Rich and Bill.
Paul lead three others threw the whitewater section of Gorge. Then Ron, Erin & Paul went back for seconds as the other set up a shuttle for a 8 or 9 mile paddle down the Nechanock.
We started at the Game commission Launch on St Rt 956 and pulled out downtown New Castle.
In this section there are lots of ripples and some great wave trains at this level.
Rich & Bill run this section a lot and after doing it today with Paul, Erin, Brad & Myself we need to get this paddle as a club run schedule. It will have to be early spring or late fall.
This section of the Nechanock is a mix between the Grand River & Beaver Creek. Very Isolated until you hit New Castle, with lots of pretty views.

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Again thank you Paul, Rich & Bill.
Erin, Brad Ron & Myself had a great day.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
erbego

Ditto Mike's thanks to Paul. It's a nice run with a little something for everyone & flexibility as to where you can take out & put in. And thanks, Mike, for your help with the shuttle so we first-timers could run the gorge again.
erbego is offline   Reply With Quote