Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy PICNIC is CANCEL

Trumbull Canoe Trails
2013 Update for July
Due to the recent rain fall we had during the week that has caused the Mahoning River to flood. Canoe City is still holding water and has mud all over the parking lot. Thomas Swift park lower section was flood over and still holding water.
Due to that situation and talking to Zack of the Metro Parks we are going to cancel the club picnic. The Mahoning River is still at flood stages and we recommend to stay of the Mahoning until it comes down.

I would like to hold our club meeting Aug 4 before the run threw Youngstown at the B & O Station. Time to be determined.

Since the picnic is cancel I will be at Sprucevale on Sunday morning at 11am and see if anyone else would like to do the Little Beaver Creek down to the Ohio River. As of Saturday morning the USGS water level for Beaver Creek is 4.89ft. A very safe level that is fun to do. Who would think in the middle of july we could paddle the Little Beaver Creek.
Sprucevale is part of the Beaver Creek State park; also known as the Group Campgrounds or the Primitive camping area.
I could not find a exact address, but it is on Sprucevale Rd/ County Rd 428, The GPS location is 40.70586, -80.580351
It is very close to the Equestrian Camp. The address for this camp is
12816 Sprucevale Road
East Liverpool, OH 43920

Our take out is at a park on the corner of Calcutta Rd and Midland Rd in PA. Here is a nice ramp for easy take out, restrooms and a pavilion.
Any questions please call me on my cell 330-766-3129 or email me at mfdanko99@yahoo.com
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfdanko99 For This Useful Post:
RonEells  (07-18-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
suram

I think the water level when we did it in April(?) was 3.9 and it'll be much warmer tomorrow!
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
mfdanko99

Talking

Yep sue you are correct, it was 3.9ft. So anthing above that will be a nicer float and like you said much warmer.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Greyhounds2

We're planning on being at Beaver Creek tomorrow. We will be a little tight on the time as I get home from work at 9:50 but if Mark has the truck packed and ready we can make it. It takes us about 45 minutes to get there.

Mark and Kathy
724-375-7784 home
412-974-2862 Kathy cell
412-475-5483 Mark cell
Greyhounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
mfdanko99

Kathy
don't rush we will wait, since we know you two are coming we won't hit the water until you are there.
Mike
Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
burrowsj

Wish I could join you, I'm still stuck working in baltimore.
burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
JPTolson

Hope you brought a boat with you....some really good paddling down that way....Check out trips with Greater Baltimore Canoe Club, Monocacy Canoe Club, and Canoe Cruisers Association of DC.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Greyhounds2

Default Great Day at Beaver Creek

We had a great time at Beaver Creek today. Thanks JP for stopping down to shuttle everyone even though you didn't kayak. Thanks to Ed for his recommendations on paths through the rapids at Fredericktown (piece of cake). We had a blast and saw lots of birds today. Can't wait to do the Shenango in a few weeks.

Mark & Kathy Murtha
Greyhounds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
mfdanko99

Unhappy Humble Pie

On Sunday I was un able to get to my kayak, as the current was to strong for me. to get to it with kayak or rigging,But it was there.

Went back monday after work with a different rig set up and kayak, got to the spot were my kayak was, and found it wasn't there anymore.
I paddled from Kent to Monroe Falls looking at all strainers in hope of finding it.

No , luck. I will continue to look for it, but this is a big piece of Humble pie to eat. I still want to do whitewater kayaking, but learned for the time being when the cuyahoga in Kent is 1600 cfs, I better just watch.

Mike