Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Mahoning River 8-4-13 Youngstown

Mahoning River threw Youngatown

We will be starting at the B & O Station in Youngstown (530 Mahoning Avenue Youngstown, Ohio 44502 GPS 41.102040, -80.657502) At 11AM For our trek down the mighty Mahoning River. We will take out just south of the bridge in Lowellville OH (439 E Water St, Lowellville, OH 44436 GPS 41.035367,-80.533629)

We will meet at the Station and drop off all equipment and run the shuttle to Lowellville.

Once we hit the water we will encounter three main rapids in the first section. Right at the beginning we will have Marshall St Bridge Rapid ( small class II), then the wave train (class I) and then rebar rapid (class I+). Once we get to industrial street bridge we will break for lunch and do the shuttle around the Struthers Damn with chucks truck and trailer. Once we put back it is a very scenic paddle to Lowellville with some ripples and a nice current. Once in Lowellville we will paddle threw the last two rapids. The first is the Lowellville dam (Class I+) and then the old coffer dam (class I+) then make a sharp left for the pull out.

In total this is a 10 mile paddle from the B & O to Lowellville.

Remember to pack a lunch.

Chuck Miller & Mike Danko
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
LWP

Default Mahoning River paddle

My husband and I were thinking of doing this paddle with our two kids (9 and almost 5), but we've only been out a handful of times and I'm not sure now that I read about the rapids. The little one rides with me and the 9 year old has been paddling himself, but would probably ride with my husband for this one. Any thoughts on whether this would be too much for novices with kids along? Thanks!!
LWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
erbego

Hi Mike,

I'm thinking of joining you tomorrow, but wonder whether there is too little water for my fiberglass boat? Do you have any insight into the water level?

Erin
erbego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
debra witowski

Red face One last Time

Crash and I will be coming I can't find his life jacket it packed up. As to other questions the water is warm, if you fall out of your boat hold your feet up and float through the rapid, the water is calm at bottom of the rapid and we will enjoy getting you back to your boat. As to the fiberglass question, whitewater boats used to be made of fiberglass, fiberglass is light if you can't float it you can carry it, but then I have seen people wrap aluminum canoe on a bridge peer.
debra witowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
JPTolson

Erin,
When I paddled this stretch two years ago, the gage at Lowellville was about 2.98 feet and I estimated that we had about six inches of water. That's not to say that there couldn't be bumping/scraping in places at that level. As of around 10:45 p.m. on Saturday, the gage reading was 3.06 feet.

John Paul

Last edited by JPTolson; 08-03-2013 at 09:50 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
erbego

Thanks, JP, for the info. Though the level sounds to be quite acceptable I've decided to save the Mighty Mahoning for another day. Have fun!
erbego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
BOBK

In case you missed it, WKBN 27 news had a very nice piece about today's Mahoning River paddle. Great job by El Presidente during his interview, way to go Mike. And even Crash got his 15 seconds of fame (that's almost 2 minutes in dog time).

Last edited by BOBK; 08-04-2013 at 05:29 PM.
BOBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
JPTolson

Default A big thanks to Chuck Miller and others

A big thanks to Chuck Miller for leading a great trip on the Mahoning from B&O Station to Lowellville on a gorgeous summer day. It's hard to thank Chuck enough for what he has done to make paddling better on this stretch of the club's home river. Also thanks to Mike Danko for helping with the shuttle even though he couldn't paddle today. Finally I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to Jake Jones who saved me from losing a set of car keys and glasses that were in a small drybag that I left on the cobble bar where we ate lunch. After the trip, Jake led me through a maze of streets to a spot on river right exactly across from cement plant rapids where I could see the bag from shore. After a swim across the channel to retrieve the bag, I finally made it back to the takeout to retrieve my boat long after the last paddler had left for home.

Last edited by JPTolson; 08-04-2013 at 08:18 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
mfdanko99

Talking

JP, wow,, glade to hear you got your keys back.

That section of the river is great and hope it only gets better. Thank you to everyone who showed up, the number looked good for the news and the reporter was very impressed with the club and loved getting film at Marshall St Bridge. I enjoyed watching everyone go threw Marshall, even tho there was carnage during it. Wish I could have joined everyone but need to be with Jess.
Debra- you and crash will be missed, hope to see you one the water again.

It was a great send off and if anyone wants here is the link to the news coverage.
http://www.wkbn.com/category/news/local-news/

See everyone at the moonlight paddle

Mike Danko

Last edited by mfdanko99; 08-04-2013 at 08:42 PM.
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
rayn

HATED to miss this (again), but just like last year, I had my big event of the year at the Park (just under 2300 attended).

Thanx for posting clip Mike. And nice job on camera.

Hey, who was on the stand up?!

r a y
rayn is offline   Reply With Quote