Old 04-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Lightning Safety

TCT,

Every year when I belonged to a couple paddling clubs in the DC region, the subject seemed to arise of what to do in the middle of a thunderstorm when paddlers are far between the put in and take out, nowhere close to the safety of buildings or vehicles. Opinions vary among paddlers depending on the type of river and terrain. Some feel that while paddling in a gorge, the chance of being hit by lightning is less than being onshore and being under trees. Here is a link to the National Weather Service web page on lightning safety

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm

and a discussion among paddlers on Paddle Prattle, a discussion board of the Monocacy Canoe Club based in and around Frederick, Maryland.

http://www.monocacyboard.org/mboard/msg/986.html

I'd be very interested in hearing some opinions from members of TCT.

John Paul
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
mfdanko99

John Paul

Great links, I never thought of being in that situationand doing the right thing
again great links

mike danko
mfdanko99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
EAR

I've been caught several times over the years in thunderstorms. And like most, we're not sure what to do. Most times we get off the water and get some shelter under the trees, but I don't like standing under trees. We have thrown up a tarp between trees and huddled under that a couple times, but that's not safe either I see. You stay drier, but your not safe huddled together. Another time we just kept going and hugged the shore on the hilly side thinking we're at the low point ( mini gorge theory). But I've never felt comfortable with an aluminum shaft paddle in a storm on the water, especially a kayak paddle sticking up in the air. Need me a wood paddle. With a wood paddle and a plastic boat, I'll take my chances. One more option, find the nearest cabin along the river and beg people to let you in !!