Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
rayn

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Friday, October 7 Lake Newport

October 7
BYOK: International Observe the Moon Night Eve
Friday, 6 - 8 pm
We?ll hope to see the Waxing Gibbous Moon tonight! EXPERIENCED kayakers are invited to bring their boats for this special paddle. Must be 18 years or older. Free, but please register by calling Ford Nature Center (330.740.7107) by 5 p.m., October 7. Meet at Lake Newport Boat Launch.

Fellow TCT members: This is my description from the Mill Creek MetroParks'
calendar. With this weekend's weather, I was kicking myself for scheduling this, but the latter part of next week is looking glorious! Fingers crossed...

raynovotny@yahoo.com
rayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
rayn

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Friday, October 7 Lake Newport report

Began w/summertime temps and sunshine highlighting the beginnings of autumn color. No trace of wind so the water looked like smooth glass. Along the way south in the wetlands, three deer crashed through the ankle-deep water. Coming back from Shields Road, bats flew above us, katydids and a barred owl sang from the trees, and the brilliant, soon-to-be-full "Falling Leaf" Moon lighted our way. A spectacular 2 hours!

But besides me and my helper Vince, only one other person attended. Any comments why? Perhaps 6 pm was too early a start on a Friday? A major part of that was my concern about October temps after dark, but it was warm until at least 9 pm. With the two recent horrible September Fridays, I'm so very thankful for this gorgeous weather.
rayn is offline   Reply With Quote