Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
85dragonfly

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Wardie - lots of good comments and advice here. I agree with those who say that one's choice should be guided by what sort of paddling you expect to be doing most of the time, your level of fitness and technique, and how much paddling you expect to be doing. Among other things - like cost.

As you are certainly aware, there are uncounted numbers of boats out there, and each is at least a little different from the others. The characteristics of each boat will make it more or less suited to a particular set of paddling circumstances and paddlers.

Ideally, one would like to be able to "test paddle" a whole bunch, since the only way to be sure how a boat will feel to you, handle for you, is to actually paddle it. There are a number of events held in the spring and early summer within a few hundred miles of our area where one can do exactly that. Manufacturers gather with demo models of their craft for folks to try out side-by-side with others. The paddling magazines will have ads for these events as they appear on the horizon.

There is one such event here in west PA. It is Wind & Water Boatworks' (Butler PA) "Paddlefest" which is held at Moraine State Park. This year's date is May 13 (Friday). The website will have info on which manufacturuers will be attending and other details. www.windnwaterboatworks.com

May I also suggest perusing these two websites following. There is always a lot of discussion about various boats (often in amazing detail) with actual paddlers telling of their opinions of one and another. The discussions there may help you narrow your search somewhat.

http://www.paddling.net http://solotripping.com

Both sites also have notices of folks selling used boats.
85dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
BOBK

Thumbs up

When the weather permits ORE Equip. in Youngstown has demo days on Berlin to try out a couple of kayaks of your choosing, check with them.
I paddle a 9'4" Dagger Zydeco. Very stabile, easy to manuever, light (40lbs), tracks fairly well for a small kayak without a skeg. No as fast as Jim and Mike's 14' Carolina, but I've never had a problem staying with the group. Not made for camping trips, no storage space. Jp could probably carry my kayak as a spare in his canoe.
But be forewarned, there's no return from the Darkside. Once you sell your soul it's forever.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
wardie

Default thanks to all!

I'm going to buy an Old Town Vapor 12s. I got a lead on a non current for a steeler (not the football tream) price! Big enough to be very stable and haul some limited overnight gear and I can get her in and out without much problem. I have my Coleman canoe for extended days or tandems or for when I want to fish the backwaters of Berlin and Milton. I guess I can have my cake and eat it too! Plus I have a 30lb. trolling motor , motor mount and an Optima battery just in case I get tired ha,ha...that goes fast enough you almost could water ski behind it!!! :) Wardie
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #14
EAR

Wardie. Think that's a good choice for you. You're larger guy, and I think the 12ft Old Town is good for you. And don't give up on the Coleman canoe you have. I paddled one for 5 years, mostly solo, and many miles on the Shenango river, French Creek, Clarion and Allegheny Rivers before I even knew about better canoes. Rich and Patty paddled one for 10 + years and John Little still paddles one! I can give you a few tips about how to set it up for camping/touring on down river trips.
I know your other hobby is motorcycles ( Two Wheel Power Hour on 570 wkbn ) and sometimes it's the rider and not the bike, if you know what I mean.
And what's this other stunt about a souped-up moped and a long distance ride I heard about on your show?!?!? Is there a link to see what happens with that ??

Last edited by EAR; 01-23-2011 at 12:09 AM.
EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #15
wardie

Default Lake Erie Loop and 2 Wheel Tuesdays at the Movies

Vapor is for solo short club runs Mahoning, Beaver etc. Canoe is for bigger bodies, more comfort and overnighters. Let me know when you can show me how to set up my canoe for trips I'd like that.

The Lake Erie Loop is a true Cannonball Run around Lake Erie about 650 miles. The charity is Aluminum Cans for Burned Kids...I'm going to ask my listeners to donate 5 cents a mile to the charity. If I make it it'll be about $30

Slugo is sitting comfortably on his work station getting ready for some mods. I'll switch out the cylinder, piston, reeds, carb and clutches in preparation for additional speed and pulling power . I am looking for a Streetmate swingarm so I can lengthen the wheelbase and make it a little more comfortable doing the distance.

Speaking of distance I host movies every Tuesday night after the motorcycle show in the auditorium. Free food and drinks courtesy of Sheetz Convenience Stores and the movie this week is The Long Haul , about the 11 day Iron Butt Associations long distance rally, 11,000 miles in 11 days. We'll have guest speakers on hand to talk about distance riding. It's always fun and free. Breaks up the winter blues.

See you there?
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote