Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
onbohio

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Just went to the site to check out the Zydeco. It looks nice.

They classify it as recreational. Does that mean it will be good for both slow and some fast water? For some reason I'm thinking I read somewhere recreational was the class between lake and fast water?

Mike, which one of your kayaks do you get the most use out of?
onbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
swampboy62

With recreational kayaks keep in mind that when they're shorter they do indeed turn easier - but the flip side is that the tracking (keeping to a straight line) is more difficult. For flat water & easy rapids I'd probably choose good tracking over good turning.

Perception definitely makes some good boats. Fifteen years ago I started out in a Caspia - about 12 feet long. It was (and still is) a great rec boat. It easily handles class I and class II rapids. The Perception catalog has changed a lot in that time, but this boat has the same general layout and size (plus a drywell).

http://www.perceptionsport.com/kayaks/PRS_Conduit_120

There is also a store in Howland that sells kayaks - Trumbull Outdoor Sports.

Good luck.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
onbohio

That one looks nice as well. So what you're saying is it's more work keeping a straight line than the advantage gained of turning easily?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #14
swampboy62

In my opinion, yes.

When you're starting out as a kayaker one of the hardest things to do is to just go in straight line. It takes practice to get the right/left strokes equal and symmetric, so the boat will naturally wander for a beginner. With a longer boat, especially one with some good longitudinal body lines, it will tend to 'coast' in a straight line a LOT easier than a short boat, especially a short rounded boat.

When I started out my first solo boat was the Caspia. It has a strong 'keel line' down the center of the hull, and also has longitudinal grooves in the hull. Add to that the strong chines (the angle between the side and the bottom of the hull) and it has a lot that makes it track easy. Then my mom bought a boat, and she went with a shorter 9' kayak - weak keel line, soft chines - and it drove her nuts trying to get it to go straight. I gave it a try, and even after having paddled for a year or so I found it didn't like to 'coast' straight. I quickly learned to keep a paddle blade in the water all the time to try to keep it going in a straight line.

Another thing to think about is what you're doing when you're rec boating. Lots of time you're just covering distance - putting miles down a mellow river, or paddling across a lake. What you want to do then is hold a line - not ping pong from bank to bank. Of course you will need to turn - but most of the time you can see your turns coming up, and easily make them. We're not talking about whitewater here, with slots to make and waves to punch - that's when you need to turn quick (and part of why ww boats are short).

Also, turning a longer boat isn't that big a deal. It's a skill you have to learn of course, but it's more of a 'gauge of force' thing in that there are a couple of basic strokes that you'll use to turn your boat, and how far/fast you want it to turn depends largely on how much pull you put on that turn stroke. Heck, I guided two people down class II lower Slippery Rock Creek in 13'+ touring kayaks, and they did remarkably well.

That's my take at least. Other paddlers feel free to add different viewpoints.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
onbohio

Thanks swampboy I appreciate the help.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #16
rambler

Default Consider a used boat....

You might want to consider looking for a used boat. In nice condition, you can often find them for 2/3 to 1/2 of what a new boat cost. Even if you have to spend some money on gas to go get it, it can be worth it. And if you decide later you want something better/different, you can usually sell it for close to what you paid (assuming you don't beat it up....).

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing." -- Henry David Thoreau
[I]
[SIZE="1"]Notice he didn't say anything about kayaking...[/SIZE][/I] :4:
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
onbohio

I'm open to used. I haven't found anything though. I have been searching on Craigslist.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #18
wardie

Default Pre Owned Kayak for sale

My friend has an Old Town Loon for sale.
His name is Carl Vath and his cell number is 330-509-1335

It's either 10 or 12' in length. He's a motivated seller, as he saw a new Perception (14') he wanted and needs to sell this one first. Please call Carl for details if interested. Wardie
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
Dig68

Default Pungo

Hi. Sorry, jumping in on your thread.
We are the newbies and were both given 12' Pungos. One is a 2006, and the other is the old 2002 Classic. It is in good shape but very basic and has the old style seat. Both came with paddles and we bought one new pfd so far. Wondered if there is anything you would definitely suggest we add to either to get us started?
Thanks.
Dig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #20
onbohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
My friend has an Old Town Loon for sale.
His name is Carl Vath and his cell number is 330-509-1335

It's either 10 or 12' in length. He's a motivated seller, as he saw a new Perception (14') he wanted and needs to sell this one first. Please call Carl for details if interested. Wardie
Sorry, I thought I posted in here that I got the Zydeco 11.0 that was referenced in the link. Thanks anyway.