Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
JPTolson

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Cuyahoga River

Please join us Sunday, October 14, on this very pleasant and scenic flat water run on the Cuyahoga, the ?Crooked River,? from Tannery Park in Kent to Waterworks Park in Cuyahoga Falls. This 6.5 miles trip will take about 3.5 hours. Please pack something to eat for lunch along the river. With good luck we should be able to enjoy near-peak autumn colors.

The trip will meet at the put-in, Tannery Park, 300 Stow St. in Kent, at noon. Parking here is limited. Depending on the parking situation that day, we may ask paddlers to drive to the take out, Waterworks Park, 2025 Monroe Falls Ave in Cuyahoga Falls right after unloading boats and gear so that we don?t create a traffic jam at Tannery Park. Maps and driving directions to the take-out will be provided. We will shuttle back to Tannery Park from Waterworks Park in as few cars as possible. Keep in mind that we are now in cold water paddling season, so prepare accordingly.

Please call or email Ray Novotny at 330-740-7107 or raynovotny@gmail.com by Saturday, October 13, if you plan to attend.

***For those who wish to paddle a 1.5 mile section of the river upstream of Tannery Park through downtown Kent BEFORE meeting paddlers who will start at Tannery Park, please meet at 10:00 a.m. at River Bend Park, a small access area on River Bend Boulevard, about one-quarter mile east of Ohio Route 43. After unloading boats and gear, we will drive to the take-out at Waterworks Park and shuttle back to River Bend in as few cars as possible.

At lower water levels, this section has about a mile of class 1-2 rapids through a very interesting narrow gorge that includes the historic dam that once spanned the river in downtown Kent. Paddlers who wish to run this section should have good boat control in a moderate current. At higher levels, the rapids turn to class 2-3. We will NOT run this 1.5 mile section if the flow exceeds 750 cfs on the Old Portage U.S. Geological Survey gage. Meet instead at the Tannery Park put-in at noon. Watch the club website if there is any question whether we will run this section. Keep in mind that we are now in cold water paddling season, so prepare accordingly.

Please call or email John Paul Tolson at 330-337-7752 or john.paul.tolson@gmail.com by Saturday, October 13, if you plan to paddle this section.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPTolson For This Useful Post:
Greyhounds2  (10-05-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
burrowsj

Come on, class 2-3 will be fun!!!!
burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
debra witowski

Red face Sunday's paddle

I did this section in my 17 ft ocean kayak, got it down through the rapids section with no problem and I think the boat was longer that the river was wide, it was so much fun I did it again. Looking foward to doing it again on Sunday. I think it is good to do this section and support groups that are improving waterways for recreation.
debra witowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
burrowsj

Looks like they might be working on getting rid of some more damns and adding some whitewater..

Dam removal

“What we’re going to see is an actual class 4 or class 5 rapids whitewater rapids through this section. The kayakers are going to really take advantage.”

Tell Ron to calm down... lol

Last edited by burrowsj; 10-09-2012 at 11:39 AM.
burrowsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
JPTolson

For anyone wondering, the trip on the Cuyahoga is still ON AS PLANNED AND DESCRIBED in the first entry of this thread.

See everyone on Sunday.

jp
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
mfdanko99

My hat is off to John Paul & Ray for doing a great job on the Cuyahoga trip. They split into groups and had us meet up so we can all paddle from Kent to Waterworks. JP great shuttle and also having directions.
Group 1 did the mile & half threw kent were there is a little whitewater with faster current, but on this day it was low but still do able.
Then as we finished we meet up with group 2 to finish the day.

I think the over all trip was a great and would like to keep this as club trip for years to come.
Mike Danko
I posted the pictures
mfdanko99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
JPTolson

Many thanks to everyone who turned out Sunday to paddle the Cuyahoga River last Sunday from Kent to Cuyahoga Falls. And many thanks to Mike for taking and posting so many memorable pictures. Ray and I will have a trip report for the November newsletter.

jp