Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
mfdanko99

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Mahoning River Ytown

Mahoning River - B&O Station to Bob Cene Way Bridge (Evening Paddle)
(Shuttle Required)
Trip Leader-Mike Danko
When-Saturday July 10th
Were- B&O Station 534 Mahoning Ave, Youngstown OH 44502
GPS
41.102300, -80.657777
Time 4pm meet up
Length- 5 miles
Class I & II Rapids

I call this the adventure section of the Mahoning River and what better way to do a shorter paddle than on a great summer evening. These sections offer some easy whitewater with lots of views of the industrial past, but also wall to wall vegetation & Tree's where smoke stacking used to be.

This 5 mile section offers two easy Class II Rapids & two Class I rapids.
The first class II is right at the beginning called Marshall Street Bridge Rapid. Then later down the river we will encounter an easy Class I wave Train called Cement Plant Wave Train. Once we pass the center street bridge we will encounter the second Class II Rapid called Rebar Rapid. It is a super easy rapid paddle through (Thanks to Chuck Miller) on river left. What makes it a class II in Ron Eells eyes wasn't the toughness of the rapid but the surrounding of the rapid with cement walls on both sides and the rest of the old dam on river right.

Right after that we will go through another Class I wave train called Iron Bridge Wave Train.
After that it is easy flat water to Bob Cene Bridge. (There is a short walk up a hill to get to the cars at the take out).

As we make our way down this trip I would like to ask all paddlers to stay together as a group. As I mentioned above there is some whitewater and there are paddlers who like to play at the rapids.

It would be nice for everyone to wait a little bit while we play in the rapids for a little bit then we will continue down the river.
Please post on the website or text me if you are planning on attending
330-766-3129
Mike

Last edited by mfdanko99; 07-07-2021 at 04:08 AM.
mfdanko99 is online now   Reply With Quote