Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Mary Kane

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Default Buckaloons Camping weekend Sept. 9-11

Trumbull Canoe Trails Paddling on the Allegheny River - Car camping at Buckaloons Campground in Allegheny National Forest September 9-11

Mary Kane will be the trip leader for this great weekend of paddling and camping in some of the most beautiful settings that Pennsylvania has to offer !

Camping:
Buckaloons Campground sits at the confluence of the Allegheny River, Brokenstraw Creek and Irvine Run in northwestern Pennsylvania.
Once the site of an Indian trading post, the Buckaloons Recreation Center has numerous apple trees through the area, as well as mixed hardwoods.
Water activities are the biggest draw to Buckaloons Recreation Center, including canoeing, kayaking, rafting and boating.
Buckaloons Recreation Area offers 57 family campsites, two double sites and a group tent site. Amenities include both flush and vault toilets, a pressurized water system, hot showers, a dump station and electric hookups.

Buckaloons Recreation Area offers 57 family campsites, two double sites and a group tent site. Amenities include both flush and vault toilets, a pressurized water system, hot showers, a dump station and electric hookups.
Open May 1st to Oct. 20th
Camping Fees per night
non-electric $18.00
Add electric $5.00
Directions :
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
41.83972, -79.25639
41?50'23"N, 79?15'23"W

2:30 hr. (110 miles)
via I-80 E and US-62 N

Take Interstate 80 east to exit 29. turn left and follow Route 8 to Franklin then follow route 62 north . Stay on 62 through Oil City (watch the signs) then thru Tionesta, after the next bridge over the river (about 25 miles) turn left on old route 6 and then turn left into Buckaloons Recreation Area

Paddling:
The section of the river that we will paddle will be determined when we arrive
Our main paddle will be on Sat. Sept.10 , but we will try to do so shorter side trips on Fri. and Sun. if we can

For more information call (or text) : Mary Kane at 330-619-0190
Mary Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
brucea

Location: Chippewa Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania. 15010 (Beaver Falls)

Dianne and I plan on attending this trip. We will be arriving at the campground on Thursday. This trip looks like a lot of fun. Let's have a good turn out.

Bruce Ambrose
brucea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brucea For This Useful Post:
Mary Kane  (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
suram

I am planning to go- also on Thursday. I have 24 burgers and 24 dogs left over from the moonlight paddle so we can have that for dinner one night.Looking forward to this!
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suram For This Useful Post:
Mary Kane  (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
Mary Kane

Default Buckaloons Paddles and Meals

We will have 5 or 6 campers arriving Thursday and 3 or 4 arriving Friday Morning & we'll all try to group our campsites together. I'll be bringing chicken breasts for grilling and ask for others to help with "sides" for dinner and help with group breakfast items, I.E: Eggs, Texas Toast, Hash brown patties, bacon/Sausage, etc. Richard and I will each have coffee pots & I'll bring a big jug of Spring Water, as well.
Friday's paddle will run @ Noon and go from the ball fields in Warren back to Buckaloons (6-7 miles).
Saturday's paddle will begin at Buckaloons (meet at the parking lot just inside the campgrounds at 10 am). We'll then shuttle cars to the takeout in Tidiute for a 12-14 mile paddle. Everyone should bring their own lunch (& maybe something to share) to eat at the halfway point on the river.
Sunday's paddle will be determined by the consensus of the group as to the length and direction of the paddle. I am in no hurry to depart on Sunday, but others may be.
The weather looks beautiful for the weekend and I'm hoping for a good turnout. My cell # is 330-619-0190 - please text or call with any questions!
Old 09-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
brucea

Dianne will make a 3 bean salad for the dinner. Mary, what days to you plan on having the dinner and the group breakfast?

Bruce
Mary Kane  (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
suram

Are they group breakfasts every morning? So far I have a pound of bacon, 24 hash browns, and a dozen eggs. Do I need to bring more? Also have the burgers, dogs, and buns. So we can have chicken one night and burgers and dogs another. I'll bring a potato dish for group dinner

Last edited by suram; 09-05-2016 at 03:51 PM.
suram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suram For This Useful Post:
Mary Kane  (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #7
Mary Kane

We'll do 2 group dinners, Friday & Saturday and two group breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #8
brucea

We will bring a dozen eggs also.

Bruce
Mary Kane  (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
Erick Fromholzer

I will bring a dozen eggs,1 pound of bacon, 1 pound of sausage, a dozen cinnamon rolls to support breakfast. Homemade brownies and a watermelon for desert.
Erick Fromholzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Fromholzer For This Useful Post:
Mary Kane  (09-06-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
Mary Kane

Default Buckaloons Re-Cap

Buckaloon?s camp weekend on the Allegheny River
September 9 - 11

We had seven eager campers who headed up Thursday to set up their camp-sites: Rich and Patty (Pinky) Allen, Sue Ramdin, Ron Eells, Judy, Bruce and Diane Ambrose. They endured a bit of rain . . . okay . . . A DOWNPOUR when they set up their tents, but it did not last long. (It also helped to show the rest of us arriving later where all the low spots were, so we knew where NOT to put our tents!) Erick Fromholzer and myself arrived Friday morning and set up our tents (on high ground). Around Noon, the nine of us headed North to the Hospital in Warren for a 6-7 mile float back down to Buckaloons. We unloaded all the boats (2 canoes & 5 kayaks) on the heli-pad/boat launch and four of us waited while the 5 took the cars to the campground and got shuttled back. Just after they left, someone from the Hospital came and said we had 10 minutes to get off the launch because a helicopter was coming in. Pinky took the lead and told us to tie off a kayak to our own and paddle downstream a bit, as she tied the two canoes together. She then did a ?header? into the water as her canoe tipped, but it was just the beginning as she fell again trying to get back to shore. The ?Grand Finale? was the full fledged ?hissy-fit? that ensued with wet gear flying toward shore (and ME, coincidentally??) Erick brought the drivers back just after the helicopter landed and before long we were on our way. (Erick also learned that when the Hospital?s signs say ?2 hour parking? they mean it!) We saw lots of ducks and a bald eagle and had a beautiful, sunny paddle.
Once back at camp everyone had a nice group dinner of grilled chicken Friday night with shared ?sides?. Valerie Bobnar (Monroeville, PA), Mary and Walter Horodyski (Kinsman, OH) arrived and set up their camps and we enjoyed some time around the fire.
Saturday morning, Dave Duska from Erie came, set up camp and we had a bountiful group breakfast. We 13 then headed up to the Kinsua Dam for a paddle to the ball fields in Warren. We were up to 3 canoes and 7 kayaks on another beautiful, sunny day. Ron was well ahead of most of us when we neared a park where there was some ?comotion? going on. There was a ?river lean-up crew? working and a couple of young 15 yr. old teens (not with them) wandered too far out in the river and were swept away. Ron rescued the young girl with his kayak and kept her calm as he paddled her back to shore. The young kid with her was rescued by another kayaker and he had taken in a lot of water and had been struggling longer. When he was helped on shore, Sue Ramdin, RN arrived to help with vital signs and any other nursing necessary. The police arrived with an ambulance and he was taken to the hospital. (They explained that due to his age it was protocol.) A disaster was narrowly averted and the girl was lucky to have met Ron when she did!
Saturday?s group dinner of burgers, dogs, beans and fruit was followed by time gathered around the fire before more rain came. Pinky & Rich just stayed under their canopy, Val headed for her car, I waited it out in my tent. Again, it was not a long time before the rain quit and a few of us rallied after and had a few more beverages under the canopy. The rain had squelched the fire, but not our spirit!
Sunday morning we gathered for breakfast as Greg Kuhn and his girlfriend Leslie arrived from Lillydale, NY, to visit. Greg is a long time member and it was really nice to see him! Bruce, Diane & Dave had to head home, Rich & Pinky weren?t paddling so we determined we?d just launch from Buckaloon?s and head upriver & turn around and come back. Ron lead as we got to the first set of ?riffles? about a mile from camp and we struggled mightily but could not get through. Ron battled upward and onward while we turned and paddled back toward camp. We figured we go past the campgrounds and pick a point to turn and fight the current again to return. We struggled mightily again but had to walk our boats along the shore a bit to get deeper and slower moving water. We managed to paddle back in time to visit with the crew before everyone headed home around 2 pm. Our total count was 15 people and this trip can accommodate many more, so consider this next year! We ?cluster? our campsites together and we are very close to the bathrooms and showers. It has been my favorite for a long time and I will again ?lead? this trip next year! Thanks - Mary Kane.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mary Kane For This Useful Post:
JPTolson  (09-13-2016), suram  (09-14-2016)