Old 12-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
RangerSpring

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Mosquito Creek Waterways Trail

Hi Trumbull Paddlers,
In partnership with Howland Twp, the USACE at Mosquito Creek Lake is looking for interest and volunteers to assist in cleaning up the creek for paddling. Additionally, we will be looking into options to add access points below the dam, on N. River Road, and at Up A Creek Tavern. The intent is to open the creek up for paddling all the way to the Mahoning with multiple access points giving paddlers options depending on time available. If you interested in aiding in this project in any way we would love to entertain new conversations and ideas. I'm hoping to make this a reality in 2019. Feel free to comment on this thread, give me a call, or stop into the office during our business hours.
thanks,
Bill Spring
Resource Manager
Mosquito Creek Lake
330-637-1961
2961 Warren Meadville Road
Cortland, OH 44410
M-F 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
RangerSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
Ambridger

Glad to hear of any movement that is pro-paddle sport, however Mosquito seems like a narrow, tree-lined stream that would require much maintenance to keep a patent, safe path open for paddlers. With that said, once it is opened and maintained, I look forward to floating on down the creek . . . and a stop at Up A Creek.
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
jimbo

I fish the lake and would be interested in seeing the creek cleaned so it is easier to fish with a kayak.
Jim
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
JPTolson

I love paddling small creeks, but I’m wondering about the frequency of sufficient water in the creek to run it. Maybe there is always enough released from Mosquito Lake so that low water is not a problem? Mike D. said he sometimes paddles Mosquito Creek in the summer, so perhaps levels below paddling zero are not a frequent issue? It would be great to have a strainer-free run like that. It would also be great if the USACE could help keep the upper Mahoning, a river that always seems to have enough water to float, free of wood.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
Ambridger

Amen to JP's notion about some help with the wood in the Mahoning!
Ambridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
KenM

Default Clearing the Mosquito Creek

Well I am excited to read about thoughts/plans to open up more waterways for paddling here in NE Ohio. I am willing to help any way I can.

Removing downfall from a river is seriously dangerous work. I live about an hour away from the Mosquito Dam and am not familiar with that creek but from what I understand it is a log-fest. Assuming it could be opened up and made accessable there MUST be some commitment to keeping it open in the future as the tree lined banks will quickly reclaim it. You cannot abandon the creek after the initial opening and expect some dedicated individuals (some members of this club come to mind) to keep it open with their own equipment! The upper part of the Mahoning comes to mind... There appears to be no available help from the State of Ohio or USACE to even assist local paddlers when clearing a dedicated Watertrail exceeds their capabilities.

I say, Get it done SOON! But don't wait too long.... I only have another 25 years or so to paddle.

-KenM

ps... The Shenago River Watchers paid Amish loggers (with work horses) to clear out the river and avoid the use of heavy equipment damage. Has that been considered?

ps2... Ref: I rough measured the distance of Mosquito Creek with a topo map so my results are most likely a bit low.

Dam to Mahoning River is about 12 miles. The tavern at East Market St (SR 82) is just about the halfway mark.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
flagsracer9

Mike & I tried Mosquito Creek last memorial day. We didn't get far downstream of the dam before turning around. It had plenty of water, but a lot of down trees. It would be nice to have it cleared & have another option for paddling.

I also agree some help clearing certain sections of the Mahoning River would be nice too! There is a big log jam just downstream of the dam in Newton Falls that I would love to see removed.
flagsracer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
jimbo

Default A trip down the creek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL-TTewSa1w
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #9
KenM

The video gives a hint of the work needed. Looks like a nice warm early spring day. No leaves out yet. Water looks like it might be a bit higher than usual.

Do you suppose the life vests are in that cooler so they won't be wet if needed?

Ken
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
JPTolson

Default How Many Strainers?

Any effort to open up the entire length of the creek would probably have to take a count of the number of trees down and blocking the way and probably lump them into categories of difficulty to remove. I recall talking to Hugh Clark with Shenango River Watchers about their work to open up the Shenango between Pymatuning Dam and Greenville, PA. If I remember correctly, he said there were 48 obstructions removed in the initial effort to clear the river. I think that’s about an eight-mile run.

Last edited by JPTolson; 12-24-2017 at 05:37 PM.
JPTolson is offline   Reply With Quote